2023 Summer Internship - Chemical Engineer
Position Location: Motiva Refinery; Port Arthur, TX
If you are currently enrolled as a student, Motiva’s paid, assessed, Internship Program enables you to get to know our company and immerse yourself in the oil and gas industry. It gives you day-to-day involvement in actual projects selected to match your interests and abilities. A supervisor and mentor will provide you with regular assessments and performance feedback throughout your internship. This is to ensure you get the most from your experience and help you decide if a potential career with Motiva is right for you.
Following completion of a successful internship, you have the potential to be offered a returning internship or full-time role that follows Motiva’s Grad Framework dependent on your graduation date and business need.
If you’re currently pursuing a degree in chemical engineering, we may have several potential opportunities available for you in 2021. If any of the below roles are of interest, we encourage you to apply. As we identify available positions, we’ll contact you about next steps in the recruiting process should you meet our basic qualification requirements.
As a Controls Systems engineering intern, you’ll be responsible for control systems performance and technical assurance for an assigned module or area. Duties may include:
- Reviewing Instrumented Protective Systems classification to insure compliance with Downstream Manufacturing Standards (DSM).
- Helping to maintain IPF Documentation (trip settings, rationale, pre-alarm settings, test procedures, narratives).
- Assisting the technical Assurance Coordinator for Control Systems Management of Change (MOC) in their area of support.
- Assuring existing control systems are functioning at an operational excellent state.
- Accountable for technical assurance of the control systems technology for the area of support and ensures reliability of the control system.
- Troubleshooting control, safety and information systems, (hardware and software) including providing technical support as an escalation with inspectors and craft.
- Supporting projects, changes, or on-going operational needs in their area in order to support run and maintain operation objectives.
- Identifying new information and control applications that enhance profitability and reliability.
- Developing functional specifications and detail design for these additions or modifications.
As a Process Engineering intern, you will help provide technological expertise to Motiva oil and gas production facilities, refineries, and chemical plants. Your work may consist of:
- Ensuring the technical integrity of plants and new projects for both internal and external customers
- Advising on process safety issues
- Designing, optimizing, and improving the operation of equipment and facilities
- Analyzing and interpreting laboratory and plant data
Process Safety Engineering:
As a Process Safety engineering intern, you take part in Motiva’s effort to develop interns as HSSE professionals to enable the application of development of management strategies within varied business and geographic environments. Your assignment may contribute to business activities through the following:
- Review the results of safeguarding studies and develop mitigation for identified deficiencies
- Use process modeling tools to size pressure relief devices
- Support updates to flare studies
- Assess status of process safety critical equipment, including field and documentation verification
- Collect and use data to prepare and report on performance against expectation and identify trends
- Support Process Hazard Analyses and Layers of Protection Analyses
- Support Management of Change process
- Participate in Process Safety Field Observations
- Participate in investigations associated with safeguarding system failures
Economics and Scheduling:
As an Economics and Scheduling intern, your assignment may contribute to business activities through the following:
- Work on the team that sets the short-term and long-term plan for Crude & Feedstock imports and Clean Product (Gasoline, Jet, Diesel) exports for the Port Arthur Refinery.
- Assist in the development of the Hydrocarbon Plan for major plant turnaround events.
- Develop a deep understanding of Refinery Economics and find opportunities to communicate these insights across the organization.
- Progress high-value logistics projects that allow the refinery to capture the maximum margin from each molecule it processes.
- Interact with Motiva employees from across the professional spectrum, including Production, Process Engineering, Optimization, and Trading & Scheduling professionals.
As a Maintenance Engineering intern, your assignment may contribute to business activities through the following:
- Understanding of overall Major Maintenance Planning Process
- Provide engineering support for scope development, planning, and work execution of Major Maintenance projects/events
- Participate in RCFA, rework, and quality investigations
- Develop Opportunity Proposals and Investment Proposals for small capital projects
- Lead the design and implementation of small capital projects related to HSE threats, reliability threats, compliance issues, and energy improvements
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Pursuing a B.S in Chemical Engineering
- Basic computer skills, MS Windows, MS office and MS Excel
- Basic computation and technical skills
- Time management skills
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee, temporary resident, or an individual who possesses valid work authorization. Individuals with temporary visas (H-1, H-2, J-1, F-1, etc.) or who require sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future are not eligible for hire.
- Previous internship experience is a plus
- Proven leadership and/or participation in extracurricular activities preferred
- Other work experience not related to position/area of study will be taken into consideration