Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Intern
The Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Intern is responsible for executing UAS data capture flights, accurate and complete post-flight processing of sensed data, and disseminating and storage of remotely sensed data obtained by the Ameren UAS Program. In addition to flying missions, this position will process and create quality end product data as defined by organizational needs and within the limits of current technology used during flight missions as required by Ameren policy and procedure. The UAS Intern will effectively interact with co-workers to understand ever changing and evolving needs as they relate to quality deliverables defined by all business lines.
This is a full-time position during the summer from May to Aug 2023.
- Meet deadlines and due date requirements for flight activities and data delivery schedules, including the ability to safely and effectively gather data for expected number of distribution poles per requirements, understand and deliver data related to transmission reliability inspections. Perform all required UAV missions as per mission requirements.
- Operate to mission standards, all other inspection equipment, including but not limited to survey systems, ground based 3D Scanning devices, handheld infrared/corona devices and other cameras.
- Ensure collected data is stored and maintained at the organizational level and dispersed to the appropriate groups while maintaining data security protocols.
- Perform UAS work management activities including job tracking and UAV Maintenance.
- Perform data gathering and processing procedures related to Infrared (IR) data capture.
- Read and interpret mobile mapping applications such as ArcGIS Collector and Apple Maps to assist in mission strategy planning.
- Keep up to date with the latest federal/state and local regulations surrounding UAS operations and comply with the Ameren UAS Policy and all Standard Operating Procedures.
- Consistently make good and strong decisions for yourself that are in-line with Ameren and department level goals to achieve success in existing projects and proofs-of-concept.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in UAS, GIS, Robotics, Engineering or a related field required.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Proven analytical skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions with ambiguous information.
- High level of organizational skills.
- Be a creative self-starter with strong interpersonal skills - able to work effectively as a team and with various stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent communication skills, including presentation, written and verbal.
- Broad understanding of computer and IT concepts preferred.
- Experience troubleshooting electrical and technical components preferred.
- High-level understanding of UAV-related technology and Information Technology practices
This position requires the ability to lift up to 55lbs and sit/stand for long periods in all weather conditions.
This position requires travel to field locations within the St. Louis and St. Charles, Missouri area.