Vail Wastewater Treatment Operator - Housing Assistance Provided!
We are currently seeking a Wastewater Operator to add to our team of experts. If you have a positive attitude, a heart for community service, and strong team values, we want to meet you! A successful Wastewater Operator provides a service to the community by creating and controlling an environment for bacteria and microorganisms to thrive in order to release clean water back to the river. This position will use a mix of chemistry, biology and maintenance to achieve that goal. The ideal candidate for this role is an approachable, hardworking and dedicated professional, preferably with an educational background in a science related discipline.
The Vail Wastewater Treatment Facility has a design capacity of 2.7 MGD and services the communities of East Vail, Vail, and some of the facilities on Vail Mountains. Most of the current plant was constructed in 1982 and is currently undergoing some exciting upgrade projects. We are nestled just west of Lionshead village in the beautiful Eagle River Valley.
Why work for us? The work you will do as a Wastewater Operator will have an immediate positive environmental impact on our community. Not to mention our excellent benefits including medical, dental, & vision coverage, employee housing & stipend program, relocation assistance (if applicable), retirement savings plans, and ample opportunities for professional development.
The Day to Day:
- OPERATIONS: Operates pumps, motors, sludge equipment, controllers, instrumentation and other equipment. (Cleans precipitates such as grit, solids, trash, and muck from sump, catch basin and grit chamber. Opens and closes gates and valves according to gauge readings or warning lights on equipment. Operates odor control systems.
- ANALYSIS: Collects and calculates wastewater operations and control data including SCADA systems. Makes process control decisions based on plant observations, lab data, instrumentation, and historical trends.
- BIOLOGY / CHEMISTRY: Collects samples and conducts wastewater laboratory tests and analyzes data for both process indication and compliance. Make process adjustments and changes in order to discharge an effluent that meets facility permit limits.
- MAINTENANCE: Performs general equipment inspection and maintenance. Performs equipment repair and adjustments. Recommends repairs, changes and work orders to Facility Supervisor. Changes chemical containers, delivers needed materials, and performs general plant maintenance and housekeeping.
- TEAMWORK: Serves as on-call operator on a rotating basis, as assigned. Recommends and or makes process control changes to meet certain conditions. Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties.
· Must be willing to work overtime, holidays, and weekends. Must be able to respond to On Call requests in a reasonable time.
· Must possess a Colorado Wastewater Operator Class "D" certification within 12 months of employment, unless a variance is otherwise granted by management. Advanced Wastewater Operator licenses, or the ability to attain these, is desired.
· High school diploma of general education degree (GED). Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a Science related field helpful.
· Laboratory experience helpful.
· Mechanical aptitude and experience strongly preferred. Prior experience working with hand tools, pumps, motors, etc. helpful.
· Must be able to tactfully, respectfully and professionally communicate in English, both written and verbal.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full-time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
· Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
· Computer experience necessary to include Windows, Excel, and Microsoft Word programs. SCADA and Microsoft Outlook experience preferred. Must have the ability to learn and adapt to new computer software programs.
We encourage the growth and development of our employees! There are four levels of Wastewater Operator with different titles and pay ranges depending on certifications, knowledge, skills and abilities. Additional opportunities for growth and development on the wastewater team include Lead Operator and Supervisor roles. The District will support you in earning your licenses. Pay range and title depend on certifications and experience. Starting range depends on qualifications but generally falls within the minimum and midpoint of the pay range. Pay ranges for each level are as follows:
· Wastewater Operator 1: $23.94 - $33.52
· Wastewater Operator 2: $26.40 - $36.96
· Wastewater Operator 3: $29.10 - $40.75
· Wastewater Operator 4: $32.09 - $44.92
At ERWSD, we value life-work balance and are leaders in the industry with our holistic benefits package, which includes but is not limited to:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employee housing or $361 monthly housing stipend
- Wellness program
- Retirement savings plans (414h and 457)
- 13.5 Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Comp Time
- Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
- $400 Annual Recreation Benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Loan programs for: Ski Passes, Electrical Vehicles, and Computers
Click HERE to learn more from our full 2022 Benefits Guide.
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check. For a full position description, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org by December 23, 2022.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.