CB&I® is the world’s leading and most experienced builder and designer of industrial storage products facilities around the world. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, CB&I has the global expertise and strategically located operations to provide engineering, procurement, fabrication and construction solutions for our customers’ most complex energy projects.
The Plate Structures Engineer is responsible for performing or checking design and analysis of assigned deliverables on a CB&I Storage Solutions project associated with a plate structures product line such as tanks, vessels, structures, modules, foundations, and other site facilities. The work includes among other things, conceptual studies, cost and planning studies, layouts, design calculations, specification development and construction documents. Over the course of time, capabilities for plate structures design engineering must increase as level of complexity of assignments increases and expectations expand for working independently with less supervision. The role reports to the Department or Design Manager and routinely interacts with other Plate Structures Engineers, Plate Structures Designers, Project Engineers and Managers.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Accurately produce assigned deliverables per applicable design code, company standards and customer drawings and specifications.
- Adhere to regulations and bylaws of local professional engineering jurisdictions and code of ethics in protection of the public and the environment.
- Ensure designs and details are safe for field erection and use, with constructability in mind.
- Reliably check and sign off on design calculations, specifications and other deliverables for customer approval or project use per applicable design code, company standards and customer drawings and specifications.
- Compare designs and details to as-sold estimate and customer documents and advise project team of discrepancies.
- Run programs to produce design calculations in designated software.
- Coordinate with other roles and functions on project team.
- Forecast how long it will take to do a task – commit to definitive deadlines.
- May include obtaining professional engineering license in at least one jurisdiction, and approving and stamping project deliverables as needed.
- Effectively use document management system.
- Effectively use project team or department collaboration and productivity apps and tools.
Essential Qualifications and Education:
- 2+ years of relevant experience.
- BS in Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited school is required.
- EIT or working toward obtaining EIT, and then a professional engineering license in preferred.
- Experience in designing structural structures and connections
- Strong understanding of AISC, ASCE 7, IBC and associated structural and seismic codes is required
- Familiarity with ASME Section VIII, API 620 and API 650 is preferred
- Some experience performing stress analysis is preferred
- Experience with storage tanks and/or pressure vessel design is desired
- Professional Engineering license in at least one state is preferred
Company Overview and Core Values:
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutions—from the wellhead to the storage tank—to transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.
At McDermott, we hold all employees accountable to follow our 5 core values.
- Integrity – we maintain a firm adherence to legal and ethical conduct
- One Team – we are one company, where everyone is equally important
- Go Beyond – we seek courageous and creative solutions
- Well-Being – we promote all forms of well-being
- Commitment – we are reliable and dependable in delivering quality solutions