Research Internship -Oronite Technology
Chevron Oronite develops, manufactures, and sells performance-enhancing specialty chemical additives for lubricants and fuels applications and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Chevron. Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, whose ~50,000 employees conduct business across the globe. Chevron Oronite is organized into three primary functions (Technology, Commercial and Manufacturing) that operate globally across three major regions (Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe/Africa/Middle East). Oronite’s primary US Technology location is Richmond, CA (San Francisco Bay area) and Oronite’s US manufacturing facility location is Belle Chasse, LA (New Orleans metro area) with additional office locations in Houston, TX and San Antonio, TX. Please visit our web site for more information: https://www.oronite.com/
Position: Research Internship
Functional Group: Oronite Technology
Location: Richmond, CA
General Tenure of Internship: 12-weeks during 2023 summer (June-August)
Overview of Position:
This research internship position will be for a 12-week internship in Oronite’s Global Technology group located in Richmond, CA. The successful intern candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and chemists that are responsible for the synthesis, development, and manufacturing support of specialty chemical additives or conducting formulation research to develop new products for Chevron Oronite’s global lubricant and fuel additive businesses. The successful candidate will have laboratory skills and technical knowledge gained through their engineering or chemistry studies that preferably include running laboratory-scale chemical reactions, chemical analysis methods, applying technical knowledge to applied research problems and safe laboratory practices. The typical background for our preferred intern candidates is students working towards completion of their BS, MS, or Ph.D. degree in a scientific discipline such as Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, or related field. He/she/they will be capable of applying these technical, laboratory and analytical skills in design/synthesis of new experimental molecules, process development of new specialty chemical additives, and formulation development for Chevron Oronite’s global lubricant and fuel additive businesses.
Key Job Responsibilities for Research Internship may include but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with research chemists or engineers on the synthesis of new molecules targeted to have performance for application as fuel and lubricant oil additives, development of new chemical processes and the support of current manufacturing processes. Participate in planning and conducting experiments and interpretation of experimental data and documentation of results.
• Perform analytical characterization by techniques such as FTIR, HPLC, GC, titration, and NMR. Screen materials in application bench tests to understand structure / performance properties. Document technical research in written reports and presentations.
• Conduct formulation research to support development of new products for automotive, natural gas, railroad, or marine engine oil application areas. Project responsibilities include new component evaluations, new product formulation testing and evaluation, competitive product performance testing in engines, engine hardware analysis and modeling, and managing formulation and component changes that impact the product line.
• Blend engine oils and evaluate new chemistries through key performance tests as well as industry standard engine tests. Design and execute experiments to define/correlate responses in key performance tests and use this data to create formulations meeting industry performance requirements.
• Take responsibility for laboratory work area safety, maintenance, and compliance.
• Manage laboratory work area; organize and work on project(s) with guided supervision; operate laboratory research equipment, provide input, and execute experiments to ensure high quality experimental data; process experimental data and product samples.
• Exhibit all Chevron Way Values and Behaviors including Integrity, Trust, Diversity, Ingenuity, Partnership, Protecting People and the Environment and High Performance. Have a passion for Safety.
• Pursuing a BS, MS, or Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
• Candidates must be continuing academic studies/program after 2023 summer.
• GPA – 3.0 or above
• Ability to apply technical, laboratory and analytical skills to solving applied research problems.
• Experience conducting laboratory chemical reactions and familiarity with various chemical analysis techniques and instruments.
• Good communication skills – technical reports and research presentations.
• Demonstrated laboratory and research skills and independent contributions to research projects.
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment visas or consider individuals on time-limited visa status for this position.