Development, Sustainability Grant Research and Writing Intern
We are seeking an intelligent, dynamic, competent, creative, strategic, positive, responsible Development and Sustainability Grant Research & Writing Intern wanting to change the world. Outstanding communication and collaboration skills and a commitment to practicing and promoting sustainability are essential. We will provide training in fundraising and grant research and writing, which is a great opportunity to learn a significant, employable and in-demand job skill that can make a big difference for the Alliance for Sustainability.
You will work with the Development Team, Communications Coordinator and President to help grow the Alliance's resource base while fulfilling its mission and values. If adequate funds are raised there is the possibility of it becoming a paid internship or even a regular staff position. Some schools offer an internship stipend and others offer academic credit if you have your internship approved for academic credit by your school prior to the start of your internship. Finally, if you work adequate hours you can qualify to receive a President’s Volunteer Service Award.
The position can begin at any time based on your availability. If it is during the school year it is expected you will work 8-15 hours a week. If it is over the summer it would be 15-40 hours a week. The times of work are flexible except for two weekly staff meetings, usually Mondays and Fridays.
Please understand that we receive a large number of internship requests and have a limited number of positions. Consequently, we give preference to interns who can work with us for longer periods of time so they can help us make more of a difference. We understand that available hours during the school year may be far more limited (but it needs to be at least 8-15 hours/week). Also, given our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, we seek to have a diverse group of interns.
Alliance for Sustainability (www.afors.org)
We are celebrating our Fortieth Anniversary Year. We were created as a tax-exempt nonprofit in 1983 by visionaries from around the world with a mission to co-create sustainability on a personal, organizational, and planetary level. We’ve always defined sustainability as being ecologically sound, economically viable, socially just and humane, embodying our highest values in terms of how we treat people, animals and the planet.
We are a dynamic, growing, diverse, inclusive and high-impact social enterprise co-creating, catalyzing and scaling an alliance for a healthy, equitable, thriving and kind world of sustainability from an open-hearted center of deep listening, empathy, compassion and collaboration. We are committed to the fulfillment of every person’s fundamental needs and achievement of large, measurable goals through our Campaign for Sustainability, Health, Equity and Kindness (S.H.E Kindness Campaign) bringing about fundamental systems change through personal and organizational transformation, impactful campaigns and public policy.
Commitment to Diversity
The Alliance is committed to having a diverse, inclusive team and an environment that is welcoming, positive, respectful, supportive, empowering, equitable and collaborative. We seek people who will bring their whole selves and broaden our perspectives and culture as we co-create a world of sustainability, health, equity and kindness. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer with an equitable, accessible recruitment process.
Participate in the Weekly Meetings of the Development Team composed of Board members, interns and professional advisors, that is responsible for assessing, goal-setting, updating and implementing the Development Plan.
Other Responsibilities (based on interest and experience) can include assisting with:
- Grant Research and Writing - Conduct research on foundations, assess likelihood of funding, update database, write Letters of Inquiry and grant proposals, track responses and prepare foundation report
- Major Donors - Conduct research on potential donors, prepare outreach letters as part of our Next Forty Campaign, maintain database and do follow-ups
- Contributing Memberships - Develop membership campaigns using website, emails and social media for existing members and followers, conduct research on potential lists for outreach, assess Instagram and Facebook ads, track response rates and update spreadsheet
- Fortieth Anniversary Year Events - Develop fundraising events and Gala in conjunction with our Fortieth Anniversary beginning May 2023
- Sustainability Partnerships - Conduct research, add possible prospects, send outreach letters, build relationships with businesses and assure delivery of benefits
- Crowd-funding Campaigns - Develop comprehensive online fundraising campaigns using Kickstarter, GoFundMe and other platforms
- Celebrity Outreach - Research potential celebrity partnerships, conduct outreach, set-up meetings and build relationship
- Fundraising Support - Provide assistance to the campaign for our SHE Kindness School Program e-Book and new website, and developing fundraising events in conjunction with our 40th Anniversary year that begins in May 2023.
- Knowledge of various aspects of sustainability and commitment to sustainability, health, equity and kindness in personal and professional life
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite applications, Slack and Zoom
- Strong written, verbal, speaking, editing and inter-personal communications skills
- Positive, professional and respectful attitude with honesty, integrity, openness, flexibility, responsibility, creativity, interest in personal growth and ability to listen, learn and contribute
- Ability to work independently, productively and collaboratively, while problem-solving, learning new skills as needed, and remaining highly organized
Qualified candidates should complete the Intern Application re your skills and background for the position so we have all your information in one place, including your resume and a cover letter expressing your interest and availability, summarizing your qualifications and specifying your start and end dates. If you have any questions, you can contact Terry Gips, President, Alliance for Sustainability Email: firstname.lastname@example.org