Lab Technician I - Next Generation Sequencing Core Facility
- Reorder lab supplies and restocking work areas on a weekly basis (25%)
- Help with generating RNA-seq libraries (25%)
- Perform quality control of RNA/DNA samples with qubit, tapestation and plate reader (25%)
- Quantify library pool with Realtime PCR technique (20%)
- Other duties as assigned. (5%)
- Coursework (with lab) completed in biology, chemistry, engineering, or related science
- Prior laboratory experience (instructional labs qualify)
- Demonstrated experience with basic molecular biology techniques.
- Proficient in the operation of standard lab equipment and computer hardware/software.
- High school diploma
- Undergraduate coursework in the life sciences or related discipline
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment. Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory and safety procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Ability to diplomatically and professionally interact with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Experience operating a molecular biology lab equipment
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will constantly be adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working inside.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)