Research Assistant II - Neurodegenerative and Infectious Disease Biomarkers
The Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions, collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de- risk new technologies that don’t just succeed at making it to the market – they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver who wants to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to creating and commercializing novel approaches to global challenges in healthcare and sustainability. You want the freedom to explore, to push the boundaries of what is possible,and to use your ambition to tackle challenging projects in a fast-paced, industry-focused environment without a lot of administrative hurdles. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people and leveraging your expertise to create innovations that can change the world.
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic Research Assistant II with lab experience in molecular biology and/or biochemistry to join our team. You will help develop assays for various biomarkers for infectious and neurodegenerative disease using novel technologies such as ultra-sensitive protein detection with Single Molecule Arrays (Simoa).
What you'll do:
- With supervision from senior staff, help design and execute experiments towards the development of new diagnostic technologies and protein biomarkers assays for infectious and neurodegenerative diseases
- With oversight from senior staff, order supplies and perform support and lab maintenance activities
- Under the supervision of senior staff, present data and conclusions at meetings within the Wyss Institute
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you'll need:
- College background in a biological science or related field is required.
- At least one year of lab research experience in molecular biology or biochemistry is required. Higher education may count towards years of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science or related field strongly preferred.
- 2+ years of research experience is preferred.
- Experience with protein biochemistry (ELISA, Western Blot, immuno-isolation, etc.) is advantageous but not required.
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
This is a two year term position with the possibility of renewal.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.