Postdoctoral Fellow – Membrane Protein Structure and Function
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Do more with the knowledge you’re working hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Through this program, you will acquire the valuable hands-on skills and foundational experience to become the professional you are meant to be in your chosen field.
Postdoctoral Fellow – Membrane Protein Structure and Function in Inflammation, Metabolism & Chronic Diseases
This could be your everyday
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. In this vital role you will a be part of Amgen’s industry postdoc center of excellence initiative located at our research site in South San Francisco, California, and train under Dr. Saptarsi Haldar, VP, Research, Cardiometabolic Disorders, and Dr. Menno van Lookeren Campagne, VP, Research, Inflammation, amongst other leading scientists in these fields. We are seeking a small number of highly motivated postdoctoral fellows to perform independent research projects as part of a core team of cross-functional scientists and critical thinkers, passionate about the theme of inflammation, metabolism and chronic disease. The positions are for 2-4 years. Successful candidates will have access to Amgen’s cutting-edge technologies and innovation and be encouraged to make exciting scientific contributions to the field, present at scientific conferences and publish their work. An overwhelming majority of our postdocs go on to advance their careers in industry at leading pharma and biotech companies, including Amgen.
The lab of Dr. Fei Li in the Structural Biology Group, Therapeutic Discovery, is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to perform independent research to understand structure and function of membrane proteins and their role in inflammatory and metabolic diseases. The initial focus of the postdoctoral fellow will leverage human genetic evidence and take a multi-disciplinary approach combining biochemistry, structural biology and cell biology to understand the structure and function of important membrane proteins implicated in human diseases. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make key scientific contributions to and establish him/herself in the field of membrane protein biology. The postdoc will be encouraged and expected to develop an independent line of research based on initial studies and to present at scientific conferences and publish in leading journals. The postdoctoral fellow will enjoy strong support in using Amgen’s cutting-edge technologies and interact closely with a cross-functional team of Amgen’s distinguished scientists.
Please see representative publications
- Science. 2020, 368(6493):893-7
- Current Opinion Structural Biology. 2022 Jun 2;75:102399
- Commun Biol. 2021 May 5;4(1):526
- Sci Adv. 2020 Jun 19;6(25):eabb1989
Here’s what it takes to Win
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dedicated individual we seek is a scientist with these qualifications.
- PhD at the time of appointment
- PhD in biochemistry, structural biology, molecular biology, cell biology, immunology, or related fields
- Broad knowledge of molecular and cellular biology with demonstrated independent research eminence through first author publications in top journals
- Specific expertise and a record of publication in the biology of membrane protein, lysosomal biology, and/or immunology
- Research experience with biochemical, biophysical, molecular and cellular techniques, and structural biology techniques such as single particle cryo-EM and cryo-electron tomography
- Record of independent critical thinking and the ability to design, execute, and interpret experiments
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- A passion to explore the unknown and make discoveries that will chart new areas of biology
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission – to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment, and inclusion in all that we do.
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan—comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits—with compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
YOU MAY VISIT THE POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW PROGRAM PAGE AND POST DOCTORAL FELLOWS CAREER PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND OPPORTUNITIES.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.