Associate Engineer - Substation
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com
Responsible for Substation designs for major capital projects in New York (NYSEG). Substation designs include structural or electrical calculations, and preparation of engineering drawings. The electric delivery system in Maine contains approximately 2,600 miles of transmission lines and 317 substations. The electric delivery system in New York contains approximately 5,600 miles of transmission lines and 621 substations. The electric delivery system in Connecticut contains approximately 130 miles of transmission lines and 28 bulk electric supply substations. Position reports to the Substation Unit Manager, but the position will work day-to-day in cross functional project team and support project needs as dictated by the project manager.
• Perform standard electrical engineering analyses, designs and calculations using standard methodology and principles and other viable approaches. Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve problems or to improve processes/services.
• Solve straightforward electrical engineering problems. Analyzes possible solutions and assesses each using standard procedures related to lines and power engineering.
• Ensure all engineering designs implemented by the company meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards.
• Support capital project engineering through entire cycle including scoping, engineering design, contract management, construction, commissioning, and closeout.
• Support technical requests from current and proposed customers.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 1+ years relevant experience required
• Professional Engineering License Preferred
• Diagnostic and problem-solving skills to decipher technical and analytical problems,
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to articulate technical concepts,
• Effective stakeholder and customer service engagement and management,
• Ability to communicate and present information effectively at all levels,
• Ability to manage competing priorities using sound engineering and financial judgment to determine optimal solutions,
• Awareness and understanding of key business drivers,
• Ability to devise solutions to both to common and complex problems/challenges,
• Where appropriate, technical and operational experience in a relevant engineering role within a utility environment.
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com
Nearest Major Market: Binghamton