Associate Engineer - Gas Engineering
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com
Under varying levels of supervision, maintains various engineering documentation, processes and records. Supports gas transmission and distribution integrity management programs and inspection activities in accordance with regulatory requirements. Provides recommendations for asset remediation or replacement and system improvements based on analysis and integrity records. Supports gas material processes including but not limited to new material identification, material specification development and defective material evaluation. Provides general technical and engineering guidance to Gas Operations and Gas Engineering. Applies company, industry, local, state, national codes, tariffs, and standards, and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements. Interacts with technical support contractors/consultants, customers, developers, municipalities, agencies or others.
Employee is assigned to a primary Corporate location with travel to other operating divisions or IUSA locations as needed. Occasional work outside of the service territory for industry or government meetings or training may occur.
1. Supports a variety of gas engineering functions such as but not limited to the distribution and transmission system integrity management program, capital project reviews, maintenance engineering, performance data reporting, materials, O&M procedures and Gas Construction Standards review and development. (30%, P)
2. Provides technical and engineering support to Gas Operations and Gas Engineering. Recommends remedial actions to mitigate operational risk to meet mandated requirements. Support inspection processes and maintains inspection databases. Interacts with technical support contractors/consultants and utilizes applicable SAP processes. (10%, S)
3. Under supervision of Lead Engineers, compiles reviews and updates data to maintain integrity management models, including the relative risk analysis and the IM data management program. Interfaces with the GIS/Mapping Department to support the IM data management program. (10%, S)
4. Under supervision, compiles system data and main record information to prioritize system main replacements. Interacts with contractors/consultants and utilizes applicable SAP processes. (10%, P)
5. Interfaces with and supports Gas System Planning, Gas Engineering and Gas Field Operations. Provides engineering support for the design, operation, maintenance and inspection of distribution and transmission systems. (5%, S)
6. Interprets and applies appropriate codes, regulations, polices, and procedures. Interfaces with internal and external customers, municipalities, agencies and others. (25%, P)
7. Develop, implement and report performance of maintenance plans and other performance reporting (5%, S)
8. Under supervision, assist on complex projects or initiatives. May assist Lead Engineers with projects that deal with unfamiliar concepts (5%, S)
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
•Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical, Civil or related technical area of study with a minimum of 0-2 years relevant
•Knowledge in piping design and construction principles.
•Knowledge of corrosion control techniques, gas system construction practices, underground pipe locating, map
reading, and blue print reading.
•Knowledge of state and federal pipeline safety regulations.
•Valid drivers license.
•EIT or PE license desirable.
•Strong analytical and problem solving skills
•Strong organizational skills.
•Able to multi-task.
•Business global view
•Communication and influence
•Flexibility and globalization
•Innovation and inventiveness
•Results achievement and continuous improvement
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearest Major Market: Binghamton