Engineer Development Program - Entry Level Power Engineer
AT ERCOT, our diverse and dynamic work environment provides a platform on which employees can work together to build the future of the Texas power grid and wholesale market utilizing the latest technologies and resources. We encourage you to join our talented, dedicated workforce to develop world-class solutions for today and tomorrow’s energy challenges while learning new skills and growing your career.
ERCOT is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is the cornerstone of our corporate values of accountability, leadership, innovation, trust, and expertise. We accept and celebrate those that join us and recognize that individuals with a wide variety of talents, ideas, and experiences propel the innovation that drives our success. A diverse and inclusive workforce strengthens us and allows for a collaborative environment to solve the challenges that face our industry today and in the future.
ERCOT offers the flexibility to work both in and out of the office within the state of Texas, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance.
ERCOT’s Engineer Development Program (EDP) is a 12-16 month program designed to provide entry-level engineers with the skills necessary to quickly become productive and successful power engineers. This position will start in Spring 2020. During the program, EDP engineers are based in ERCOT’s modeling groups, learning the fundamentals of power engineering and the ERCOT grid. The EDP supplements this work with one-on-one mentoring, training sessions, field trips, and special assignments within 15 areas of study - https://www.ercot.com/careers/edp/progstructure. These assignments allow EDP engineers a chance to become familiar with all of the different types of engineering work that ERCOT has to offer. EDP management helps each EDP engineer, based on their experiences and skills, prepare for a future career path in power engineering.
Monitors the implementation of changes, additions and updates to the ERCOT Transmission Grid and associated network models. Develops, maintains, and supports business software, data formats, associated interfaces and the processes and procedures guiding the use thereof. Completes assignments, gains sufficient knowledge and achieves proficient skill with the concepts, practical methods and operational processes related to phases 1 and 2 of the Engineer Development Program (EDP) curriculum. Works closely with other departments that are responsible for application parameters as well (including but not limited to EMS, MMS, CRR, and Planning).
Essential Job Duties
- Analyzes transmission network data including Transmission Element parameters. Work closely with ERCOT System Operations, System Operations Support, Market Operating Services Support, Client Services and Metering
- Works with load flow and other analysis software to provide accurate power system models and associated cases
- Supports detailed model changes delivered by Network Operations Model Change Requests (NOMCRs) to maintain an accurate Network Operations Model and other models contained within the ERCOT modeling system
- Validates the database and test the models and associated power flows
- Maintains and supports database infrastructure, model data exchange interfaces, and data export formats
- Represents the ERCOT ISO at the ERCOT level
- Coordinates and works with the NDSWG (Network Data Support Working Group) members on data exchange and transmission network model maintenance via the NOMCR process
- Reviews and develops methods to increase model accuracy including data comparisons and validity checks
- Reviews Contingencies, Special Protection Systems, Remedial Action Plans, Mitigation Action Plans, Outages, and other issues that possibly affect models
- Reviews, drafts, and presents changes to the Protocols, Guides, procedures, and other supporting ERCOT documents relative to modeling.
- Develops, enhances, and maintains reports associated with Protocol and Guide compliance criteria
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Communication (Verbal, Written & Presentation Skills)
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or six years applicable experience is required.
- Less than one year experience (in excess of degree requirements stated above) of progressively responsible experience in electric utility industry.
Projected Start Date will be Spring, Summer, and Fall 2023. Multiple positions are available.
- There are requirements in this role that will be required to be performed on-site in Taylor, TX. It is estimated that your business area will require this position to be on-site at least (2) days per week. Circumstances and business needs may require you to be on-site more often. On-site requirements are at the discretion of Management.
- Remote work schedules shall be performed within Texas. Log-ins during out of state business travel, and any temporary remote work arrangements that have been submitted and approved in Workday by HR.
The foregoing description reflects the minimum qualifications and the essential functions of the position that must be performed proficiently with or without reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. It is not an exhaustive list of the duties expected to be performed, and management may, at its discretion, revise or require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This job description is not intended to create a contract of employment with ERCOT.
Both ERCOT and the employee may exercise their employment-at-will rights at any time.