To learn more about the job, feel free to contact the hiring supervisor- Howard D Thomas at Howard.Thomas@mdc.mo.gov or at 573-522-4115, x3755.
Perform all types of mechanical engineering design and analysis as required to support the Department’s infrastructure program. This includes planning and project development to support the operation, maintenance, repair, renovation, and construction of all needed mechanical systems.
Benefits Include: Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays, Health insurance, Flexible schedule, Employment development and training, Clothing allowance, State retirement plan, Employee Credit Union, Deferred compensation saving and investment plan, Tuition reimbursement, Cafeteria program, Paid life insurance, Paid accidental death and dismemberment insurance, Employee wellness and assistance programs, State Discounts, distributed work opportunities.
Essential Job Duties
- Perform all types of mechanical engineering design and analysis as required in compliance with accepted codes and standards. Design is performed either individually or collaboratively as a part of a team.
- Collaborate to understand and create project goals and schedules.
- Review and approve contractor’s shop drawings, and work with construction projects managers to resolve construction conflicts with plans and specifications.
- Develop and administer consultant contracts and work with consultants to develop the project objectives, concepts, budgetary and site constraints for successful project completion. Perform quality control reviews of plans and specifications for assigned projects.
- Manage capital improvement and maintenance and repair contracts through project development, design, bidding and construction to project completion.
- Conduct all studies, site investigations, and interviews necessary to determine mechanical program requirements. Analyze the results of the investigations using engineering judgement to develop conceptual plans, feasibility studies, design reports, construction documents, and make recommendations to the various Department Branches for implementation.
- Work with the infrastructure standards staff to assist in the development of standard plans and specifications for use by other Department staff in the contracting of applicable repair, maintenance, renovation and construction projects.
- Coordinate with infrastructure asset management and planning staff in the development and maintenance of proposed construction budgets, maintenance schedules, standards, replacement cost schedules, work order management system, etc.
Continual Job Duties
- Collaborate with other Department staff to develop project goals and schedules.
- Conduct meetings as needed for management and development of assigned projects from initiation through project completion.
- Develop and review project proposals to maintain, repair, renovate, or construct infrastructure on department areas.
- Perform design calculations and analysis as required to develop specifications and select the various types of mechanical equipment needed for a project and to comply with accepted codes and standards.
- Provide commissioning and training for field staff on proper use of mechanical systems and provide troubleshooting assistance.
- Develop and maintain a program to track and reduce energy usage at Department facilities.
- Conduct maintenance conference to provide technical assistance and training for maintenance staff.
- Coordinate Department's recycling efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Five (5) of relevant professional experience.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the state of Missouri (or ability to obtain certification within the first year of employment).
- Must maintain a current, valid driver’s license.
- HVAC, plumbing design work and pump applications experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge to prepare technical engineering reports, and technical specifications, as well as cost estimates and monthly contractor's pay estimates for construction projects.
- Ability to communicate and negotiate between engineers, contractors and contract superintendents.
- Knowledge to read blueprints.
- Work varying shifts and/or hours, as needed.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate programmable calculators, chemical test kits and air velocity meters.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Remain in a stationary position 70% or more of the time.
- Operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Frequently communicate and exchange accurate information.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
- Regularly lift up to 5 pounds, correctly lift up to 10 pounds.
- Concentrated attention is required at all times.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Missouri Department of Conservation reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, functions, and requirements.