2022-2023: CTC Technical Earth Scientist Intern
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. We believe affordable, reliable, and ever-cleaner energy is essential to achieving a more prosperous and sustainable world. Chevron produces crude oil and natural gas; manufactures transportation fuels, lubricants, petrochemicals and additives; and develops technologies that enhance our business and the industry. To advance a lower-carbon future, we are focused on cost-efficiently lowering our carbon intensity, increasing renewables and offsets in support of our business, and investing in low-carbon technologies that enable commercial solutions.
More information about Chevron is available at www.chevron.com.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Technical Earth Science Intern in its Technology Company located in Houston, Texas.
Technical Earth Scientists within Chevron are part of multi-disciplinary teams which vary in make-up but can include geologists, geophysicists, petroleum engineers, data scientists, and software developers. Technical Earth Scientists are responsible for creating and applying innovative technologies in exploration and production. Application of Earth Science technologies helps to identify and evaluate subsurface opportunities, risks, and uncertainties, increase exploration success, improve reservoir characterization, and unlock reserves from conventional and unconventional reservoirs. These individuals also serve as technical consultants for the company’s operating business units, and often work with external technology providers to apply the latest technologies to solve challenging problems. In addition, Chevron has opportunities building lower carbon capabilities in Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage (CCUS), geothermal, and hydrogen.
Technical Geoscientists: Geologists with specialties such as basin modeling, basin analysis, stratigraphy, structural geology, geochemistry, seal analysis, reservoir quality prediction, reservoir modeling, geostatistics, geomechanics, fluid flow, carbon storage, geothermal, subsurface data science and digital workflows.
Technical Geophysicists: Geophysicists with specialties such as seismic acquisition, seismic imaging and processing, cloud computing, quantitative geophysical interpretation and attribute analysis, velocity modeling, geophysical surveillance, geophysical inversion, and potential fields.
Petrophysicists: Responsible for evaluation and development of new petrophysical, well log, and rock physics technologies, as well as consulting with the business and other subsurface researchers on challenging petrophysical and subsurface characterization problems.
Technical Geoscientist interns will be assigned a position and project based on degree, previous work experience, and relevant research focus areas. Interns will be provided guidance by a supervisor and a technical mentor, many of whom are deep subject matter experts in their respective fields.
- Students completing the requirements for their Master’s or Doctorate Thesis program in geology, geophysics, geological engineering or related fields, with less than 2 years of directly related work experience.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in a technical area aligned with Chevron’s business needs.
- Demonstrated research framing, execution, and reporting skills.
- Strong academic performance in core programs, communication, leadership, and teamwork.
- Problem-solving skills, analytics, and exposure to coding and/or data science concepts.
- Position may require driving on a routine basis.
- Students enrolled in a Ph.D. program.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications, at least some of which are first-authored.
- Participation in an energy industry or sponsored university research project.
- Research or development experience with coding, data science and/or machine learning.
- Cross-organizational project collaboration.
- Demonstrated technical leadership (organizing workshops, technical sessions, etc.).
- Previous internships and/or practical experience in industry workflows for subsurface characterization or technology deployment to real world subsurface problems.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast-feeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, age, mental or physical disability (including medical condition), military or veteran status, political preference, marital status, citizenship, genetic information or other status protected by law or regulation.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.