PhD Thermal Engineering Manager, Batteries (5949)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Thermal Engineering Manager - Batteries for our Thermal Sciences Practice in Phoenix, AZ. You will perform failure analysis and provide design support for complex problems involving fluid flow, heat transfer, mass transport, combustion and electrochemistry, as applied to thermal runaway events in battery systems. Applications will primarily be in electric vehicles and consumer electronics, but may span many additional industries including aerospace, power generation and distribution and medical devices, among others. Specific duties will include conducting, planning and executing experimental test programs, conducting fieldwork and inspections, preparing proposals and technical reports, presenting to clients, and starting the process of developing new clients.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing test plans, instrumenting, and carrying out laboratory tests
- Performing engineering calculations and analysis
- Preparing proposals and technical reports, and presenting findings to clients
- Project work may require travel (within and outside of U.S.)
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Chemical, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Fire Protection Engineering (Masters level candidates with direct experience in battery abuse testing will also receive consideration)
- 3-5 years of direct experience with battery testing, battery performance measurement, battery failure analysis, or electrochemical systems analysis
- Strong technical background in the thermal sciences and battery systems (e.g. vent gas and fire propagation, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and material response in fire)
- Experience with battery electric vehicle systems (thermal testing and/or crashworthiness) is a plus
- Experience with battery electric vehicle codes and standards is a plus
- Demonstrated leadership skills and proven ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong skills in laboratory methods including construction of experimental apparatus, instrumentation, data acquisition and data analysis
- Strong desire and ability to tackle a wide variety of engineering problems within and outside their direct areas of specialization
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links.
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.