PhD Machine Learning Scientist (5538)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Machine Learning Scientist for our Data Sciences Practice in Natick, MA. In this role, you will work as part of a team to plan and execute global data collection efforts, utilize and improve next-generation products, and optimize internal and external programs to support clients in the consumer electronic industry.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting a range of consulting activities related to controls and algorithm development in Python
- Supporting SiL and HiL testing environments to assist clients in the design and development of new products
- Evaluating battery algorithms such as SOC, SOH, SOF, balancing, etc.
- Conducting Functional Safety software assessments for complex systems
- Defining and assessing software reliability, failure modes, and fault reactions
- Advising clients on experimental designs
- Supporting a range of consulting activities related to large-scale local and global programs to build custom datasets for machine learning algorithms including protocol development, data collection, data management, and analysis
- Providing operational support for prototype hardware and software systems including system validation and troubleshooting
- Using AWS AI services (e.g. AWS Glue), ML platforms and frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, SparkML, scikit-learn) to aggregate data and train/deploy ML models
- Researching and implementing novel ML approaches to accelerate interoperability, knowledge extraction, enterprise search, real-time workflow orchestration, and more
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Controls Engineering, or a related engineering/scientific field (such as Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Applied Physics, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Robotics)
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Advanced sensing technology
- Networking data analysis and visualization
- Controls engineering (estimation, parameter identification, or control)
- Operations optimization
- Machine learning data set design or optimization
- The desire to work with a diverse set of clients and engage in work outside of the traditional data science field
- Strong practical engineering ability combined with leadership and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to travel to a variety of global locations to support project work (up to 25% travel)
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.