Clinical Research Data Scientist - Oncology Study
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) has a career opportunity for a full-time Clinical Research Data Scientist to support the establishment of an oncology tissue repository in a joint collaboration with the Department of Defense and its affiliates. The project aims to utilize collected clinical and biological data to research cancer detection, prevention, and treatment/cure.
This is a full-time position, offering competitive compensation, professional development training, comprehensive health insurance, 13 paid holidays, paid vacation, sick pay and a generous 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
We encourage you to apply if you have experience recruiting human study subjects, maintaining regulatory compliance, and interacting with military personnel or Veterans.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
- Use advanced data analysis methods (from machine learning, artificial intelligence, applied statistics, etc.) to build predictive models of healthcare outcomes from the largest integrated medical records database, VA corporate data warehouse, in the United States.
- Extract, clean, and validate data in preparation for analysis, starting from raw data in a large relational database.
- Carry out exploratory and statistical analytics and data visualization and summarize analysis results.
- Collaborate with a range of researchers, including clinicians, computer scientists and statisticians to design and execute analyses.
- Assist in developing improved data science methodology in relation to healthcare data.
- Assist in publishing papers on our findings, systems, and methodology.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH COORDINATOR
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience;
- Proficiency in programming with R and/or Python to carry out data analysis in large and complex datasets;
- Experience working with relational databases using SQL or willingness to learn;
- Ability to move projects forward independently with moderate support;
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Passion for advancing healthcare research through creative use of data;
- Strong communication and collaborative research skills required;
- Organized, detail-oriented, self-directed, and dependable;
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize workload;
- Able to learn VA regulations and procedures regarding research.
- Master's degree or PhD in a relevant field (computer science, statistics, informatics, physics, computational biology, etc.);
- Experience using version control and reproducible research (git, knitr, etc.);
- Experience with electronic medical record data or clinical databases.
Environmental Conditions: Office environment.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.