Postdoctoral Fellow - Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Drug Discovery
The Department of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning at Genetech is seeking a highly-motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to design, develop, and apply new machine learning algorithms for drug discovery. The successful candidate will be mentored by Dr. Kangway Chuang, Sr. Scientist, and Dr. Tommaso Biancalani, Director and Sr. Principal Scientist and collaborate across diverse teams within Genentech Research and Early Development (gRED) to leverage machine learning algorithms for antibiotic discovery.
● You will join the growing department of AI/ML within Research Biology as a Postdoctoral Fellow. You will work alongside machine learning and computational scientists working across different areas of the life sciences.
● You will closely collaborate with chemists, biologists and computational scientists across departments within gRED’s vibrant scientific ecosystem.
● You will develop machine learning methods for the analysis of molecular data and processes which can be represented as graphs or sequences, with a focus on antimicrobial small molecules and peptides with potential for antibiotic development.
● You will drive publications in scientific journals and machine learning conferences and present results at internal scientific meetings and international conferences.
● PhD degree in the physical or chemical sciences with strong numerical focus (e.g. Chemistry, Biochemistry), or quantitative field (Computer Science and Machine Learning preferred), completed recently before the start date.
● Strong research interest in drug optimization and discovery, chemical properties prediction.
● Demonstrated experience with modern Python frameworks for deep learning (preferred: PyTorch).
● Record of scientific leadership and experience, as evidenced by at least one high-impact first author publication in a scientific journal.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate cross-functionally.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
● Experience and fluency with one or more cheminformatics or drug discovery toolkits (e.g. OpenEye, Schrodinger, RDKit, OpenBabel)
● Experience and familiarity with cheminformatic and computational chemistry methods.
● Public portfolio of computational projects (available on e.g. GitHub)
● Record of machine learning research excellence as evidenced by publications in computer science and machine learning conferences (e.g. NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML)
The Genentech Postdoctoral Program emphasizes basic and fundamental discovery research with the mission of conducting first-rate science and publishing in top-tier journals. Genentech’s Postdoctoral Fellows are funded for up to 4 years, and form a vibrant community with their own external speaker seminar program, off-site meeting, and internal research meetings. The program is known for the quality and impact of its publications, as well as the outstanding careers of many former fellows in academia and industry.
For more information about the postdoctoral program at Genentech, please visit: https://www.gene.com/careers/university-and-early-career/postdocs
Information on the Biancalani Lab:
Relocation benefits are available for this job posting