Coastal Engineer II/III
RES is currently accepting applications for a Coastal Engineer II / III in our Houston or Lafayette office. The selected candidate will help to build RES’ capabilities in its resiliency practice and design nature-based solutions to address its clients’ coastal flooding, shoreline erosion and ecological restoration needs.
As Coastal Engineer II / III, you will be responsible for managing and delivering successful resiliency projects and developing cost effective, practical coastal engineering designs and construction solutions for our clients. You will interact internally throughout the organization with staff at all levels as well as clients, members of professional organizations, subcontractors, and other firms.
What your day-to-day might look like?
• Demonstrate high level of understanding the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport mechanics.
• Demonstrate ability to complete complex engineering calculations and modeling for the design or analysis of projects located in coastal environments, such as large coastal storm risk management (levees and floodwalls) and nature based solutionsto coastal flooding, shoreline erosion, and ecological restoration.
• Provide coastal engineering leadership at a project and task level and work with other engineering staff to complete projects, including setting staff priorities for scope of work, budgets and schedules for completing the work.
• Perform coastal engineering design and modeling and/or review the design and drafting work of coastal engineers, designers or drafters.
• Prepare or oversee the preparation of final plans and reports and submit them for approval.
• Conduct or oversee personnel involved in coastal engineering investigations and planning work.
• Plan, schedule and conduct or coordinate construction services on projects.
• Maintain and enhance our reputation with clients, approval agencies and industry professionals as an outstanding service provider with consistent high standards of delivery, quality, flexibility, and innovation.
• Remain current on regulatory policy and rule changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
• Enhance the reputation of RES through preparation and presentation of papers at professional society conferences and seminars.
• Coordinate with RES leadership and client contacts routinely to explore future opportunities, budget planning, and staff resourcing needs.
• Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to conduct effective client and agency presentations and write technical reports.
• Experience in designing living shorelines and conducting construction oversight to ensure successful implementation.
• Demonstrated fieldwork, such as reconnaissance, measurements, construction inspection, or instrument handling and deployment.
• Completing design calculations for coastal and civil engineering practice: including marine structures, rubble mound structures, geotechnical/foundation designs, hydrodynamics/fluid mechanics, drainage and flood control infrastructure, dredge/fill, and sediment disposal site designs.
• Coastal engineering analysis in support of coastal flood hazard studies under a predefined framework, specifically wave runup/overtopping analysis, and wave overland propagation analysis.
• Demonstrated experience with preparation of design plans and specifications for bidding and construction purposes.
• Demonstrated experience with construction oversight and administration duties including shop drawing approval, review of contractor surveys/progress reports, and execution of final certification(s) upon project completion.
• Application of numerical modeling tools for simulating circulation, waves, water quality, sediment transport, or mixing (e.g. ADCIRC, Delft3D, SWAN, Mike, CORMIX).
• Skill in Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Project).
• Demonstrated successful experience in decision making, including making sound defensible business decisions; and identifying, assessing, evaluating and solving complex problems.
• Demonstrated leadership and influence through communication with internal and external teams to execute tasks as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Experience with evaluating projects based on an understanding of regulatory and/or technical requirements, financial metrics and constraints.
• ACOPNE Certification preferred - Diplomat in Coastal Port, Ocean and/or Navigation Engineering.
• Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Coastal, or Environmental Engineering with 3-5 years of experience in one of the areas of expertise listed above; Master of Science Degree preferred.
• Current registration as Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred with ability to obtain reciprocity in multiple states.
• Experience as team lead of applied-sciences, engineering, or construction department
• Proficiency in geographic information systems and/or computer aided drafting and design
• Experience with forecasting and delivery of financial reports of budgets, % complete, revenue, COGS, margin and cash flow
• Experience with beneficial uses of dredged material
• Demonstrated project experience through professional publications and presentations.
Team members are expected to be able to contribute to the industry in an impactful way in several areas of coastal engineering and be an expert or developing expert in at least one of the following areas:
• Natural Hazards and Coastal Risk
• Coastal Hydrodynamics and Morphology
• Design and Analysis of Coastal Structures, Ports, Harbors, and Waterways
• Coastal Management, Environmental Restoration, and Enhancement
• Field Measurements, Instrumentation, Remote-Sensing
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
RES is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.