Green Iowa AmeriCorps 11-month Environmental Steward / Coordinators
Green Iowa AmeriCorps
11-month Environmental & Community Stewardship Positions Available!
Service Description: Green Iowa AmeriCorps operates through the University of Northern Iowa’s Center for Energy and Environmental Education (UNI CEEE) in Cedar Falls. The program is looking to recruit passionate and motivated individuals to serve with our program for an eleven-month service experience in one of our service locations throughout Iowa.
Green Iowa AmeriCorps members, in collaboration with our host sites, community partners, and engaged citizens, focus on a wide variety of environmentally focused activities including but not limited to:
● Conducting environmental education lessons and presentations to persons of all ages and abilities
● Engaging in and leading environmental outreach and community engagement projects
● Recruiting and engaging volunteers in service to the community
● Conducting residential energy efficiency services (primarily for vulnerable populations)
● Enhancing commercial energy efficiency projects for public buildings (LED upgrades, etc.)
● Developing Climate Action Plans & Greenhouse Gas Inventories for counties and organizations
● Developing waste reduction strategies for sites and communities (recycling and composting education and outreach)
● Planting trees and restoring tree canopies in vital communities
● Engaging in water quality services (sampling, testing, river clean-ups, etc.)
● Engaging in additional conservation projects (prairie burns, GIS, soil restoration, etc.)
● Enhancing one’s own Professional Development through specific projects and trainings, tailored to their own areas of interest.
Exact service projects vary by host site and more details are provided during the interview process. For more information about our host sites, please visit our website: www.greeniowaamericorps.org/locations
Focus Areas: Neighborhood Revitalization, Environmental Preservation, Habitat Restoration, Housing, Community Outreach & Engagement, Storm Water Management, Land Restoration, Community and Economic Development, K-12 Education, Sustainability and Capacity Building
Program Benefits: Monthly living stipend distributed by UNI, Segal Education Award upon successful completion, Healthcare coverage, AmeriCorps Child Care Assistance, AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program (MAP), Federal loan deferment, Public Service Loan Forgiveness Qualification, and interest accrual repayment, training and certifications, individualized professional development opportunities and funding.
Living Allowance: $18,000 (TOTAL FOR 11 MONTHS; roughly $1,636.00/month) Living allowances are distributed evenly in monthly installments by the University of Northern Iowa over the course of the service term.
Segal Education Award: $4,826.50
Education Awards are contingent upon successful completion of the program.
- At minimum members must be high school graduates, GED recipients, working on attaining a high school diploma or GED during their term of service
- Be 17 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following U.S. citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident
- Have a valid driver’s license or other government issued photo identification
Terms: Position based on completion of 1,200 hours of service in a reduced full-time schedule (working on average 27-28 hours/week); flexible vacation and sick leave. Outside employment and school attendance permissible during off hours.
Start Date: The program will enroll members on a rolling basis beginning September 18, 2023 until November 30, 2023, or until all positions have been filled. Members must be willing and able to serve for the duration of the 11-month term.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Green Iowa AmeriCorps is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse, and equitable culture and are striving to include these practices within our organization and work across Iowa. We believe embracing diversity creates lasting impacts on communities, where people are valued for who they are and their own unique experiences. It is vital to our mission to foster a culture where our service members and community partners feel valued, supported, and included in every aspect of service. We commit to using these practices in our passion for environmental stewardship.
Contact GIACrecruitment@gmail.com or apply via our website: https://www.greeniowaamericorps.org/open-positions