JOB TITLE: Energy Auditor
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Salary: $57,750 - 73,500
We are not able to provide H1-B visa sponsorship for this job.
About Abraxas Energy Consulting: We hate waste of any kind. Our resources are finite, and wasting them is short-sighted, expensive and ultimately detrimental to all of us on the planet. Through our energy assessments, trainings, software tools, and daily interactions with the outside world, we provide guidance to others so that they can reduce energy and water waste at their facilities. This is our calling, and it makes achieving a sustainable environment a cornerstone of all we do.
We are a company of about 45 employees, headquartered in San Luis Obispo. We have employees in several states, and contracts nation and worldwide. Visit our website (www.abraxasenergy.com) for more about who we are and what we do. If our mission statement resonates with your own beliefs, we want to hear from you.
Other Benefits of Full Time Employment at Abraxas: We are a small business with a skilled team that demands high quality of all our team members. We support each other and continuously seek to improve our services and team member skills.
Abraxas offers a full range of benefits including health, dental, and vision coverage as well as 401K matching, paid time off, and a degree of flexibility in scheduled work hours.
JOB OVERVIEW: The Energy Auditor serves the primary role of performing facility energy and water assessments. Typical assignments will include energy and water audits, supporting retro-commissioning activities, field measurement and verification, and field diagnostic testing/deployment. The work will involve regular interaction with clients in person, on the phone, and via email. The Energy Auditor will represent Abraxas Energy Consulting, LLC in a professional manner. Most work will be performed under direct supervision of a more senior Energy Engineer or Project Manager. As the Energy Auditor’s skills advance, more tasks will be performed independently, especially for more simple buildings and tasks. The Energy Auditor also performs analysis tasks associated with the info collected for his or her projects.
ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inventory and collect equipment data for lighting, HVAC, motors, water fixtures, etc.
- Conduct energy audits. The tasks will range in complexity from one day walk thru site visits to investment grade energy audits to identify energy reduction opportunities in lighting, HVAC, building envelope, water, renewables, controls, and other energy and water using systems.
- Support building retro-commissioning activities including functional performance testing and monitoring of equipment.
- Deploy field diagnostic equipment such as wireless monitoring systems, data loggers, flow meters, etc.
- Use necessary equipment for completing on site work. This will include data loggers, power loggers, multimeters, temperature devices, air flow meters, manometers, lighting meters, current transducers, appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), hand tools, etc.
- Analyze and evaluate results from measurements including interval energy data, lighting readings, etc.
- Perform energy and economic analysis of energy efficiency measures using energy modeling software, spreadsheets and other tools.
- Market research and data collection for new technologies, equipment costs, install cost estimates, etc.
- Interpret, and tabulate information from facility mechanical and electrical drawings such as lighting fixture counts, mechanical equipment ratings/locations, piping diagrams, etc.
- Evaluate operations and maintenance savings and estimate the cost to implement energy conservation measures.
- Document and communicate the results of energy audits through written reports, PowerPoint presentations, meetings, and conference calls.
- Meet with clients and team members to discuss energy efficiency measures.
- Keep current with new energy efficiency technologies and strategies.
- Manipulate large volumes of utility data and facility trend data in Excel and/or specialized software without corrupting it.
- Organize and analyze utility bill data.
- Benchmark facility energy use data.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
COMPETENCIES - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This position requires a high level of individual initiative, responsibility, work ethic and time management skills to meet shifting and overlapping project deadlines. The ability to communicate clearly with customers and team members to request information, solicit feedback, and clearly define project responsibilities is crucial. The Energy Auditor will also need to communicate with their peers and Project Managers regarding their schedule, road blocks to their work, and additional support that may be required.
- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Generates creative solutions.
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Develops alternative solutions.
- Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Communicates changes and progress.
- Completes projects on time and budget.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses.
- Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Meets commitments.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Keeps emotions under control.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Listens and gets clarification.
- Responds well to questions.
- Participates in meetings.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Writes clearly and informatively.
- Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Presents numerical data effectively.
- Inspires respect and trust.
- Accepts feedback from others.
- Displays passion and optimism.
- Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement.
- Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external).
- Fosters quality focus in others and encourages growth.
- Improves processes, products and services.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Displays orientation to profitability.
- Works within approved budget.
- Upholds organizational values.
- Follows policies and procedures.
- Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time.
- Manages competing demands.
- Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
- Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Undertakes self-development activities.
- Seeks increased responsibilities.
- Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities.
- Applies feedback to improve performance and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Uses equipment and materials properly.
Language, Math and Reasoning
- Mastery of the English language – written and spoken.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations and permutations. Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations and proof of theorems.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with non-verbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and TRAINING:
- Preferred: Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent four-year technical engineering degree.
- Minimum: 2-year technical, math, or science degree and an eagerness to learn advanced concepts and practical experience.
- Experience with consumer side energy analysis (energy efficiency, renewable technology, HVAC analysis, building load analysis, etc.). Knowledge from directly related coursework will be considered.
- Understanding of basic concepts required for analyzing building envelope, mechanical systems, electrical systems, lighting systems, etc.
- Experience developing energy simulation models with DOE-2, eQUEST, TRANE TRACE 700 or similar programs.
- Experience working on or assessing large commercial facilities’ energy using equipment preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- None required.
- Additional consideration if applicant has a certification or working towards certification in any of the following: Certified Energy Manager, Certified Lighting Efficiency Professional, LEED Accreditation, Certified Energy Auditor, Engineer in Training, or Professional Engineer license.
- Very strong experience with the use of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, detailed spreadsheet analysis, and high quality technical report writing.
TRAVEL – The Energy Auditor should expect to be available to travel. While many project assignments are local or regional, the Energy Auditor should expect to be gone from home 7-10 nights per month. Abraxas reimburses all travel expenses according to the company’s Travel and Expense Policy.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, stand, talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Distance Vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
- Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
- Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point).
- Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships).
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This position works in an environment with moderate noise level. (Examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic.)
- This position occasionally works in an environment with a loud noise level. (Examples: jack hammer work, front row at a rock concert.)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in high precarious places (examples: ladders and rooftops).
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
Note: Nothing in this job specification restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Critical features of this job are described under various headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. The above statements are strictly intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $57,750.00 - $73,500.00 per year