Biomedical Engineering Position in Translational Research (Entry Level)
The pioneering efforts of the Harris Orthopaedics Laboratory at the Massachusetts General Hospital, have positively impacted the quality of life of millions of patients through innovation since its inception in 1969. The mission of the laboratory is to improve patient outcomes through materials science and clinical research with an emphasis on orthopaedic applications.
Harris Orthopaedics Laboratory is focused on the development of polymeric and hybrid materials for applications in orthopaedics. We are seeking a highly motivated individual for an entry-level research position to support our translational research program in implantable biomaterial development, starting in August-September 2022 or earlier. This position is ideal for new engineering graduates interested in the medical application of basic and translational research and is a great opportunity for those who want to gain some experience before continuing their education in graduate or medical school.
- Laboratory formulation including preparation of macromers, polymers, polymer blends, polymeric consolidation
- Modification of polymers including outside services such as radiation processing
- Characterization of polymers on-site and local off-site research facilities including drug elution, mechanical and fatigue testing, wear testing, thermal and structural characterization
- May include antibacterial testing of polymeric materials using various assays
- Processing of data to evaluate the efficacy of materials in animal models including gait analysis and micro-computed tomography image analysis
General lab responsibilities:
- Assembly, operation, maintaining operation protocols, scheduling management, and some maintenance of assigned equipment
- Ordering supplies and keeping track of related inventory
- Maintaining clean equipment, glassware, and laboratory space
- Working alongside other research technicians, MD students, PhD students, and post-doctoral fellows
Administrative and reporting responsibilities:
- Organizing and accurately maintaining written records of procedures and data
- Generating and compiling experimental information/results in graphs, charts, and reports.
- Preparing written and/or verbal reports for supervisor and/or senior research personnel
- Collaborating with team members and supervisor(s) in developing research methodologies and research objectives
- Collaborating with team members and supervisor(s) in writing and editing material for publication; opportunity for authorship in publications
- Must have BS. Non-engineering degrees will ONLY be considered with relevant experience
- Must have at least one non-course based laboratory research experience, such as a summer internship or research assistantship
- Coursework and/or laboratory experience with bacterial culture methods or animals a plus
- Coursework and/or internship experience in biomaterials with emphasis on polymeric materials is a plus.
- Robust written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and strong organizational skills are all expected. Independence, self-motivation, and a willingness to learn new skills are also vital for succeeding in this position
- Must have solid, practical skills in Microsoft Office applications. Demonstrated proficiency in Matlab is a plus
This position requires strong academic performance (minimum 3.2 GPA is preferred). The ideal candidate will also have had prior research experience. The position is most suitable for a duration of two to three years and preference will be given to a candidate planning to matriculate at a medical or graduate school in 2024 or later.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and your transcript to Mehmet Asik, PhD, email@example.com by November 30, 2022. We will start reviewing the applications as we receive them. Earlier applicants will receive priority.