People Operations Manager – Health Services Research
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) seeks a People Operations Manager to lead workflows making health care more accessible and equitable at federal and state levels in the United States.
The People Operations Manager will coordinate and improve the research group's workflows comprised of healthcare operational partners' activities, schedules, meetings, platforms, channels, technology, decisions, information, improvement, quality assurance, training and deliverables. This is a leadership position funded by research grants and is not a human resources position.
The People Operations Manager will lead participatory healthcare improvement infrastructure (e.g., Modeling to Learn) nationally in VA and with State of Hawaii partners. The People Operations Manager role is funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH), Veterans Health Administration (VA), and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA).
The ideal candidate is experienced partnering with diverse stakeholders via technology with a passion for addiction and mental health equity and health services improvement research.
- Are you looking lead large scale, health system improvement infrastructure?
- Do you have a passion for facilitating stakeholders in mutual learning processes over time?
- Are you developing innovative, open-source, resources that stabilize dynamic workflows enabling operational partners to sync?
- Do you enjoy synthesizing applied, interdisciplinary work to create system change in peer-reviewed research?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then join Team Participatory System Dynamics!
ABOUT TEAM PSD
The People Operations Manager will join an interdisciplinary team working to change the way health care quality improvement decisions are made, such as across layers of the Veterans Health Administration, and with state health departments and other healthcare systems (see https://mtl.how/team, https://mtl.how/demo and https://mtl.how).
Team Participatory System Dynamics (TeamPSD) engages stakeholders in shared decision-making cadences while maintaining transparency and reproducibility via open science platforms and principles. We partner in iterative cycles of development and implementation to advance scientific understanding of technology-embedded health system decision-making, and implementation and improvement processes over time.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The People Operations Manager is part of the new Team PSD management trio, which also includes the Research and Development Manager and DataOps/DevOps Manager.
Reporting to the Principal Investigator (PI), Dr. Lindsey Zimmerman - Implementation Scientist at the Veterans Health Administration, Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention (OMHSP), National Center for PTSD - the People Operations Manager will coordinate partners using participatory methods, develop the next iteration of improvements in syncing highly interdependent, technologically-embedded workflows, and translate these new insights in reporting and publication of federally-funded peer-reviewed scientific research.
This is a full-time position. You can telecommute 100% of the time and work from anywhere. There is team office space in Menlo Park, CA, but the team is nationally distributed. The team works with partners within the United States from Eastern to Hawaii time zones and team meetings occur Monday to Thursday between 7:45AM and 4PM Pacific Time. Team members work either four 10-hour days Mon-Thurs or five 8-hour days with no meetings on Fridays.
PAVIR offers generous benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation, sick pay and a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
Team and Collaboration Management:
- Coordinate Research, Development, and Operations activities with other managers.
- Manage People Operations workflows including quality improvement facilitators, frontline care teams, operational partners, educators and technology developers.
- Manage People Operations schedules, platforms/channels, meetings, quality assurance, and deliverables across PeopleOps platforms: GitHub, ZenHub, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM, Power BI, ReqLogic (invoices/purchasing), Open Science Framework, National Center for PTSD Patient Care Services and Productivity Data Base, VA RedCap and Stanford RedCap
- Anticipate what is needed, direct the activities of the team, and facilitate shared understanding through effective coaching
- Motivate team members growing into increasing responsibility
People Operations Management:
- Ensure that project aims are achieved and project output is highly valued by patients, providers, policymakers, scientific communities and NIH, VA and SAMSHA stakeholders
- Sync multiple partners' workflows following participatory principles on online platforms
- Create effective written communication for high volume and high visibility requests
- Develop and experiment with new tools and techniques, identifying ways to streamline activities
- Produce and coordinate reports, presentations and peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3 years or more of experience synchronous and asynchronous workflows inclusive of research, development and healthcare operations value streams
- Experience coordinating workflows with other managers, including managing shifting priorities, timelines and change effectively
- Proficiency with GitHub and Markdown (or highly similar platforms). We also use ZenHub for key reporting and costing of People Ops activities
- Strong, clear, concise written and oral communication in English online and in-person
- Proven ability to establish trust and rapport via written, in-person and phone interactions
- Demonstrated excellence in planning, tracking, organizing and communicating with clarity and efficiency
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage simultaneous requests with a high level of responsiveness
- Proven ability to manage time effectively to manage multiple project timelines without losing site of the highest priorities for the program
- Expertise with contemporary community-based participatory research (CBPR) or participatory action research (PAR)
- Evidence of effectiveness with capacity-building via technology and upsklling to sustain and scale partnerships
- Familiarity with health care, quality improvement and electronic health record data
- VHA experience
- Ph.D. in related applied disciplines of behavioral health, social sciences, medical or public health research, engineering, computer science or statistics
- Background in Scaled Agile Framework for government teams
- History of contributing to peer-reviewed conferences and manuscripts
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas as we fulfill our purpose of driving Veterans' health innovation. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain an academic appointment or are affiliated with Stanford University.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VA and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.