Public Speaking Center Graduate Assistant
Hours/Pay: 10 hours per week, $25/hour
(This position is eligible for health benefits and a one-year commitment is preferred)
Applications open: May 2nd
Applications close: June 10th
Contact for Questions: Dr. Erin Cotter, Public Speaking Center Coordinator, email@example.com
Employment Eligibility Verification: If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The Public Speaking Center Graduate Assistant (PSC GA) supports the Public Speaking Center and Outreach programs in the Sanger Learning Center in the School of Undergraduate Studies. The Public Speaking Center is a free resource for all UT students. Trained undergraduate consultants help students in hour-long one-on-one or group appointments at any stage of the planning or rehearsal process for presentations, speeches, job interviews, and more.
This person will provide support through developing public speaking workshops, mentorship and supervision of undergraduate employees, and providing direct student support services through appointments and/or workshops. The Public Speaking Center This GA position is ideal for a graduate student interested in exploring careers in higher educator in or outside of the classroom. The duties involve working with student support services, undergraduate students, and higher education administration.
· Hours/pay: 10 hours per week, $25/hour.
· Flexible weekly schedule that includes both in-person and virtual work.
· This position provides UT Select health insurance when combined with an existing 20-hour UT appointment.
· Access to private office space in Jester Center.
· Commitment: August-May 31st. 8/1 start date preferred, but can be flexible.
· Friendly work environment that includes a large community of growth-minded full-time staff and student-educators.
40% Support the Public Speaking Center Duties may include developing and presenting staff trainings; attending and contributing to the planning of weekly staff meetings for undergraduate staff members; conducting observations of speech consultations and outreach presentations; assisting with administrative tasks, such as sending policy reminders, maintaining records, preparing materials, assessment and other tasks as assigned.
40% Lead the customized workshop program. Duties may include developing and presenting interactive workshops for UT instructors tailored to course assignments and materials; maintaining/developing partnerships with new and incumbent customized workshop requestors.
20% Provide individual consultation and guidance to UT undergraduate students seeking to improve their knowledge and skills related to public speaking and/or academic success.
Provide support to other Sanger Learning Center programs as needed.
Bachelor’s degree. Enrolled as a graduate student at UT for the 2022-2023 academic year. Demonstrated commitment to student well-being and student academic achievement/success. Understanding of challenges faced by UT (or similar university) undergraduate students. Experience giving presentations or speeches to diverse audiences. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
PhD candidate in Communication Studies or related field. Classroom teaching experience. Experience working with diverse populations. Experience coaching others in public speaking.
How to Apply
Supervision: Dr. Erin Cotter
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed starting June 10th.
Career Competencies Gained:
• Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of the organization.
• Use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others and use empathic skills to guide and motivate.
• Demonstrate personal accountability, ability to learn from mistakes, and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management.