Analytical Technician 1
About the Company
Origin Materials is a science-driven company with a mission to help the world decarbonize. We invent new and better low-carbon materials for everyday things, and use science and business strategy to bring those materials to market and change the world. We are based in West Sacramento, California and Sarnia, Ontario, and we live and work around the globe. To learn more about Origin, visit www.originmaterials.com.
We have movie buffs, coffee connoisseurs, world-travelers, video gamers, snowboarders, exercise enthusiasts, parents, non-parents, musicians, painters, and every other variety of people. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
When you take a job at Origin, you do more than switch companies or advance your career. You become part of the Origin community an inclusive group of hardworking, uniquely talented people we call “ORIGINals” who drive innovation
Benefits/ Perks of Being an ORIGINal (just to name a few)
You will work with great people. You will be joining a small team of A+ players who like to hustle, create, and work hard. We are good at what we do and we like succeeding. We’re constantly learning, always supporting, and ready to tackle the next challenge.
You will make a difference. We’re a small team working on big things, so every person has the opportunity to make an impact.
You will grow. You’ll be surrounded by great minds and presented with big challenges. You will be stretched in the best way possible. There are constant opportunities to learn more and get better.
You will enjoy benefits. We offer several health plan options- Medical and Dental (75% for employees, 25% for dependents), Vision, Disability and Life insurance, 401k.
You will have flexibility. Some people enjoy the morning silence of their home office while others thrive in the hustle and bustle of our West Sacramento headquarters. We don’t believe in one size fits all when it comes to work location and schedule. Work where and when you are most productive and can get your job done. And take time off when you need it. That’s why we have a flexible time off policy.
About the Position
Research and development is the heart and soul of Origin Materials, and the role of analytical technician is central to Origin R&D. Experiments are useless if you can't see the results and our analytics team is crucial in providing that capability to our R&D function. The analytical tech brings creativity, inquisitiveness, and clarity to the complex problem of investigating novel chemistries — combined with the ability to communicate methods and results with fellow scientists, engineers, and Origin’s non-technical staff. This is an exciting role within a science-driven company and an opportunity to develop expertise in analytical techniques both novel and tried-and-true.
You will be responsible for:
- Analyzing samples using GC-FID, GC-MS, HPLC (with UV, RID), and other analytical techniques (titration, UV-Vis, etc.)
- Preparing solutions; standard volumetric solutions and reagents used in laboratories
- Checking data for correctness and completeness, adhering to the QA/QC policy
- Helping maintain and troubleshoot analytical instruments
- Performing other duties as required
- Enjoy working with instruments and equipment, solutions, supplies, and materials common to the field of analytical chemistry
- Like to focus on the details
- Are consistent and accurate when undertaking repetitive tasks
- Recognize the importance of consistently following rules and/or SOPs
- Are motivated, driven, and dedicated to getting the job done
- Work well independently as well as cooperatively and effectively with other departments
- Pride yourself on your organizational and time management skills
- Take initiative and exercises good judgment
- Are good at solving problems
- Communicate clearly, verbally and in writing
- Have a growth mindset and are continually trying to improve yourself through your work
Gotta Have it:
- At least one year of work experience in a science laboratory
- Bachelor of science in chemistry or related field
- Coursework in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and quantitative analysis, or comparable coursework and/or experience.
- You have method development experience
- You have troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- You have experience setting up organizational systems
- You have an example of an experimental write up
- You can wield spreadsheets like a pro
A few last things:
- We don’t hire off of key words. We hire smart, capable, real people who are ready to learn and are enthusiastic about changing the world. If you think you’d be a good fit, we encourage you to apply.
- Maybe you’re amazing but this job isn’t exactly what you’re looking for. We’ve learned that amazing people surround themselves with amazing people. Be a good friend and pass this along to someone you think might be the perfect fit!
Benefited Position: Yes
Expected Start Date: Q1 2021
Expected End Date (if applicable): n/a
Expected Travel (%) : n/a
Ability to work from home? Occasionally
Driving Required? No