Life Sciences Lab Assistant II – Stem Cell Biology
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) supports the nation's second largest research program in the VA system and has an opportunity for a Lab Assistant to join the Rando Laboratory!
The Lab Assistant will work closely with senior research staff while participating in general wet lab activities under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI), Thomas Rando, M.D., Ph.D.
The Lab Assistant will learn about basic and applied biomedical research using next generation sequencing and cutting-edge microscopy technologies to investigate fundamental questions in stem cell biology and the biology of aging.
The work Lab Assistant will be performing will contribute to the development of therapeutic strategies to be used to intervene tissue aging or age-related diseases. It's good to know your hard work is going to make a difference in the lives of Veterans and people with disabilities!
The Rando laboratory is a part of the Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging and the Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, as well as the Rehab R&D Center of Excellence at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. The laboratory is associated with the Stanford Center on Longevity. Dr. Thomas Rando, a renowned neurologist and stem cell biologist, has been recently named director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA.
This is a full-time position, located in Palo Alto, CA. Position will be 100% on-site after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A LAB ASSISTANT
- Assist with basic techniques in molecular biology, biochemistry, histology, cell culture, microscopy.
- Assist in working with live animals, including surgery.
- Assist in working with mammalian cell culturing.
- Help maintain common solutions and reagents.
- Help to maintain equipment and general lab organization.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A LAB ASSISTANT
- Bachelor's degree or Senior-year students scheduled to graduate in 2022 (or equivalent experience).
- Desired: One year of experience in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, and cell culture; Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment;
- General knowledge of research procedures or protocol gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic and analysis to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Excellent organizational skills.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.