Scientific Laboratory Manager – Stem Cell Biology
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) supports the nation's second largest research program in the VA system and has a rare and exciting career opportunity for a Scientific Laboratory Manager to lead the Rando Laboratory! The laboratory's primary focus is stem cell biology, cell and tissue aging, and degenerative diseases.
The Scientific Lab Manager will play a key role in orchestrating the operations of this high performing laboratory and will be vital in supporting the research activities of senior investigators and postdocs, while being exposed to world class basic science.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Lab Manager will work with the Principal Investigator, Dr. Thomas Rando, and other senior research staff while overseeing the lab experiments of basic and applied biomedical research using next generation sequencing and cutting-edge microscopy technologies to investigate fundamental questions in stem cell biology and the biology of aging.
The Lab Manager will support and contribute to the development of therapeutic strategies to be used to intervene tissue aging or age-related diseases. It's good to know your hard work is going to make a difference in the lives of Veterans and people with disabilities!
The Rando laboratory is a part of the Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging and the Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, as well as the Rehab R&D Center of Excellence at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. The laboratory is associated with the Stanford Center on Longevity. Dr. Thomas Rando, a renowned neurologist and stem cell biologist, has been recently named director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA.
This is a full-time position, located in Palo Alto, CA.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A LAB MANAGER
Duties will include managing lab compliance, overseeing mouse colonies, assisting the PI, Dr. Thomas Rando, with grant submissions and progress reports, and working with lab members to facilitate their research:
- Manage laboratory and oversee large animal colony; Manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, chemical and radiation safety issues and research administration requirements;
- Training and supervision of laboratory assistants and students;
- Assist in the writing and preparing animal protocols and progress reports;
- Assist researchers with ongoing research projects, including handling live animals (mice) as well as tissue and cells from those animals, maintaining accurate laboratory notes reflecting data acquired.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A LAB MANAGER
- Relevant experience as a lab manager with prior experience with bench research, including the use of live animals;
- Experience with tissue culture techniques;
- Experience supervising research staff strongly preferred;
- Experience with writing animal protocols desired;
- Master's or PhD desired; Bachelor's degree is acceptable when supplemented by several years of direct lab management experience.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS WE ARE SEEKING
- Must be able to pass a respirator fitness test for work with hazardous chemicals;
- Strong desire to support the research operations and progress of a fast pace lab;
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory safety procedures;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently as the lab manager but also to work as part of the lab team;
- Effective communication skills orally and in writing; Excellent interpersonal skills to assist other research staff;
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, sharps, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.