We are seeking an intelligent, dynamic, competent, collaborative, creative, strategic, positive, responsible and experienced Administration Intern to change the world. Excellent communication and collaboration skills and a commitment to practicing sustainability are essential. You will assist the Administrative Coordinator and President in helping to manage all administrative areas, including office systems, accounting, payroll, banking, database, correspondence, HR, Leadership Team and Board support, and Zoom and in-person meeting support. You will help assure effective systems and increase the Alliance’s impact while fulfilling its mission and values.
This is an unpaid remote position but will provide invaluable experience, connections, references and a life-long network while making a large impact. If adequate funds are raised there is the possibility of it becoming a paid internship or even a regular staff position. Some schools offer an internship stipend and others offer academic credit if you have your internship approved for academic credit by your school prior to the start of your internship. Finally, if you work adequate hours you can qualify to receive a President’s Volunteer Service Award.
The position can begin at any time based on your availability. If it is during the school year it is expected you will work 8-15 hours a week. If it is over the summer it would be 15-40 hours a week. The times of work are flexible except for two weekly staff meetings, usually Mondays and Fridays.
Please understand that we receive a large number of internship requests and have a limited number of positions. Consequently, we give preference to interns who can work with us for longer periods of time so they can help us make more of a difference. We understand that available hours during the school year may be far more limited (but it needs to be at least 8-15 hours/week). Also, given our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, we seek to have a diverse group of interns.
Alliance for Sustainability (www.afors.org)
We are celebrating our Fortieth Anniversary Year. We were created as a tax-exempt nonprofit in 1983 by visionaries from around the world with a mission to co-create sustainability on a personal, organizational, and planetary level. We’ve always defined sustainability as being ecologically sound, economically viable, socially just and humane, embodying our highest values in terms of how we treat people, animals and the planet.
We are a dynamic, growing, diverse, inclusive and high-impact social enterprise co-creating, catalyzing and scaling an alliance for a healthy, equitable, thriving and kind world of sustainability from an open-hearted center of deep listening, empathy, compassion and collaboration. We are committed to the fulfillment of every person’s fundamental needs and achievement of large, measurable goals through our Campaign for Sustainability, Health, Equity and Kindness (S.H.E Kindness Campaign) bringing about fundamental systems change through personal and organizational transformation, impactful campaigns and public policy.
Commitment to Diversity
The Alliance is committed to having a diverse, inclusive team and an environment that is welcoming, positive, respectful, supportive, empowering, equitable and collaborative. We seek people who will bring their whole selves and broaden our perspectives and culture as we co-create a world of sustainability, health, equity and kindness. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer with an equitable, accessible recruitment process.
Participate in the Weekly Meetings of the Administration Team composed of Board members, interns and professional advisors, that is responsible for assessing, goal-setting, updating and implementing the Administration Plan.
Other Responsibilities (based on interest and experience) can include assisting with:
- Financial Management - Donations (PayPal, GoFundMe, GiveMN, etc.), thank yous, grants, checkbook, deposits, accounts payable/receivable, income and expense reports, balance sheet, cash flow, and Quickbooks, as well as working with accountant for timely financial reports and tax filings
- Management of Information and Other Systems - Email accounts, Alliance Google Drive, Canva, Slack, security and other systems
- HR - Processing of staff payments through Paypal, helping to recruit, on-board, train and manage new staff, interns and volunteers, management of contact info for files and website, handle access to Shared Google Drive and orient about specific projects
- Support for S.H.E. Kindness Youth and School, Business and Policy Programs - Logistics, training, presentations and outreach, plus tabling and representing and speaking at events
- Fortieth Anniversary Year Event Management - Eventbrite, logistics, registration and reporting
- Fundraising Support - GiveMN account for Give to the Max, crowd funding, donations on database and Google Spreadsheets
- Grant Support - Work with foundation database and spreadsheet
- Sustainability Partner Support - Keep the Sustainability Partners spreadsheet updated, monitor spreadsheet and Partner benefits to ensure that each partner gets the benefits they are promised and send out Partner thank you letters with gifts
- Meeting Management - Prepare for Weekly Zoom staff meetings and monthly meetings for Development, Program, Communications, and Administration Teams, as well as Dream Team and other meetings and assisting with taking notes and posting on Alliance Google docs
- Procurement - Research, negotiations and purchasing of goods and services for the Alliance
- Commitment to sustainability, health, equity and kindness in personal and professional life
- Experience with or openness to learning Microsoft Office, Google Suite applications, Quickbooks, CRMs like the Databank, Zoom, Wordpress, Slack, social media sites and apps
- Strong written, verbal, speaking and inter-personal communications skills
- Positive and professional attitude with honesty, integrity, openness, flexibility, responsibility, creativity, interest in personal growth and ability to listen, learn and contribute
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, problem-solve, learn new skills as needed, and remain highly organized while managing multiple projects
Check with your school's Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
Qualified candidates should complete the Intern Application re your skills and background for the position so we have all your information in one place, including your resume and a cover letter expressing your interest and availability, summarizing your qualifications and specifying your start and end dates. If you have any questions, you can contact Terry Gips, President, Alliance for Sustainability Email: email@example.com