Clinical Research Coordinator – Interventional Oncology
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) has an exciting opportunity for a Clinical Research Coordinator to support clinical research into 4D-perfusion scanning, Liquid Biopsy, and Artificial Intelligence, led by Dr. Rajesh Shah - Clinical Associate Professor (Radiology) at Stanford University and the Director of Interventional Radiology and Associate Chief of Radiology at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System.
This is a key position that supports research to determine if liquid biopsy can be used effectively in earlier detection of one of the deadliest forms of cancer. It is rewarding to know that what you do makes a difference in the lives of others.
ABOUT THE CLINICAL STUDIES YOU WILL SUPPORT
The Research Coordinator will primarily support a human clinical research study investigating liquid biopsy to detect cancer in lung nodule patients. If the study finds that liquid biopsy can detect cancer in combination with PET/CT scans of the chest, patients may be able to begin treatment sooner than is otherwise possible or avoid biopsy/tissue diagnosis.
The Research Coordinator will also support other clinical trials requiring data management and administrative efforts and retrospective studies involving Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence data collection.
ABOUT THE RESEARCH COORDINATOR ROLE
The Research Coordinator will obtain all clinical data for the patients, download the imaging studies, and send blood samples to the laboratory via mail.
There will be some work from home flexibility, but most work will need to be onsite at the VA Hospital in Palo Alto, CA to enroll patients. Initially, the Research Coordinator will work 30-35 hours/week, with the hours increasing to 40 hrs/week once the second study launches.
The Research Coordinator will work directly with the Principal Investigator (PI), Dr. Rajesh Shah, an interventional radiologist with a particular interest in interventional oncology. The lab's research focuses on Lung cancer, including the application of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to lung cancer identification.
We offer comprehensive health insurance, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation, sick pay and a generous 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share. Plus, we pay for professional development training, life insurance, as well as short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH COORDINATOR
- Handle study correspondence;
- Complete all study logs and case report forms;
- Communicate with Sponsor as needed;
- Enroll patients, obtain informed consents, as well as all clinical data for study subjects;
- Coordinate patient visits;
- Send blood samples to sponsor;
- Coordinate Sponsor visits.
- Maintain study binders containing clinical patient data;
- Enter all study data into research database;
- Maintain all electronic and paper files;
- Maintain data and coordinate data entry on Sponsor's online data entry sites.
Maintain Scientific and Regulatory Files:
- Maintain IRB approval;
- Perform online literature searches (Zotero and PDFs);
- Assist in preparing research reports and articles for publication, including tables and graphs.
- Obtain and archive all regulatory documents required by Sponsors.
- Assist with other study-related duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH COORDINATOR
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience;
- At least 6 months of related experience; Collecting data and/or supporting research databases.
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field;
- Ability to understand and follow VA regulations and procedures regarding research;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook;
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing;
- Good interpersonal skills necessary for interacting with study subjects;
- Familiarity with clinical research;
- Ability to read and understand the study protocol;
- Ability to complete assigned tasks independently;
- Basic math/statistical skills;
- Highly reliable with demonstrated organizational ability;
- Accurate record keeping and attention to detail.
- 12 months or more of related experience, including research experience with clinical trials.
- Experience in database management, e.g., Microsoft Access;
- Exposure to image acquisition and image processing;
- Familiarity with Endnote or Zotero;
- Knowledge of medical terms and abbreviations relevant to obtaining and coding medical history.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to hospital/clinical environment. Exposure to imaging equipment (i.e., PET/CT). Exposure to blood samples.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists.
We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.