Manufacturing and Materials Intern
Modern Electron has an immediate opening for a Manufacturing and Materials Intern. In this role, you will support the Full Device Engineering team to develop, document, and execute operations for the fabrication of hermetic thermionic energy converters (TECs) as well as the setup of prep/test rigs for prototypes used for optimization studies and full system demonstrations. This cradle to grave assignment will give hands-on experience with all aspects of the technology from design optimization through producing the prototypes, testing, and post-mortem characterization and will support the implementation of an integrated data system to enable multivariate performance optimization.
Modern Electron is a sustainable heat and power technology company that helps buildings and homeowners save money, reduce carbon emissions, and increase resiliency during power outages. Its technology transforms boilers’ and furnaces’ heat into power for use onsite, reducing wasted energy. >$40MM venture capital is committed to our vision. We have enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
- Manufacturing, assembly, and inspection process development for thermionic converters, including but not limited to basic machining, electroplating, metallization, brazing and heat treatment, dimensional inspection, and post-mortem characterization
- Process standardization and documentation to reduce variability and ensure experimental control
- Optimization of internal ceramic electrical break fabrication processes to ensure yield and robustness targets are achieved
- Approach problem solving with a logical and efficient approach to minimize experimental downtime
- Hands-on experience with prototype fabrication processes including basic machining, electroplating, metallization, brazing and heat treatment, dimensional inspection
- Experience writing manufacturing, prototyping, and/or assembly instructions and process control specifications
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing principles is a plus
- Experience with scripting and/or creating macros to automate basic documentation processes is a plus
- Experience aggregating and analyzing large datasets is a plus
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS, MS or PhD student or recent graduate in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering
- Associates Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline with 2+ years of industry experience in a manufacturing environment
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
We are an equal opportunity employer.