Life Sciences Research Associate – Stem Cell Biology
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) supports the nation's second largest research program conducted among the VA Hospitals and has a rare and exciting career opportunity for a Research Associate to join the Rando Laboratory!
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Research Associate will work closely with the Principal Investigator, Dr. Thomas Rando, and other senior research staff while conducting basic and applied biomedical research using next generation sequencing and cutting-edge microscopy technologies to investigate fundamental questions in stem cell biology and the biology of aging.
The Research Associate will contribute to the development of therapeutic strategies to be used to intervene tissue aging or age-related diseases. It's good to know your hard work is going to make a difference in the lives of Veterans and people with disabilities!
The Rando laboratory is a part of the Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging and the Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, as well as the Rehab R&D Center of Excellence at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. The laboratory is associated with the Stanford Center on Longevity. Dr. Thomas Rando, a renowned neurologist and stem cell biologist, has been recently named director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA.
This is a full-time position, located in Palo Alto, CA. Position will be 100% on-site after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
- Perform advanced biological techniques and procedures using live animals (mice) and animal tissue and cells;
- Analyze data from experiments;
- Management of cohorts of experimental animals (mice);
- Perform general lab organization and maintenance.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
- 2 years of prior research experience (including undergraduate or graduate research) in biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline;
- Prior experience in handling of experimental rodent models;
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Flow cytometry and microscopy experience;
- Sterile tissue culture techniques;
- Master's or Ph.D. in biology or a related discipline desired.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS WE ARE SEEKING
- Exquisite record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures, as well as safe handling of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel for data calculation and analysis;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM? If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.