Clinical Research Assistant - Alzheimer's Disease Studies
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is looking for a full-time Clinical Research Assistant to support human clinical research studies on Alzheimer's disease prevention. The Research Assistant will support research to understand the full spectrum of Alzheimer's disease from its earliest stages.
ABOUT THIS RESEARCH ASSISTANT ROLE
The Research Assistant will join the research laboratory led by the Principal Investigator – Dr. Jerome Yesavage, Professor - Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Stanford University and will be supervised directly by Dr. Steven Chao, Clinical Associate Professor (Affiliated) at Stanford.
The study participants are older adults with normal cognition, mild cognitive impairment, or Alzheimer's dementia who have volunteered to undergo repeated MRI, PET, neuropsychological measures, and blood and CSF biomarkers. These ongoing studies are part of an international network of sites looking at the relationships between cognitive, neuroimaging, genetic and biomarker data. Future research studies will focus on the treatment of Alzheimer's disease at an early stage.
The ideal candidate is someone who communicates in Mandarin proficiently to be able to assist Mandarin-speaking study subjects.
This a full-time position, located in Palo Alto, CA. We offer work from home flexibility, but you will need to be on-site to conduct brain imaging scans at least once a week.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing support for the conduct of clinical research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists.
Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments or are affiliated with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT
Assist in Study Coordination:
- Schedule study procedures, which may include MRI brain scan, PET scans, physician assessment, electrocardiogram (ECG), blood draw, and lumbar puncture;
- Coordinate schedules with members of research team;
- Handle study correspondence;
- Maintain participants study binders, progress notes, and study logs.
Test research participants: Administer neuropsychological tests, questionnaires, and collect medical information according to the study protocols.
Enter data in databases and upload data:
- Accurately score neuropsychological (NP) tests. Enter NP and other study data into EDC;
- Upload brain imaging files and source documents to the data coordinating site.
Assist with brain scans:
- Accompany study volunteers to PET and MRI centers;
- Coordinate and assist in pre-scan safety screening for participant's safety and comfort and for research integrity.
- Collect vital signs (blood pressure, pulse) via an electronic vital sign monitor and compute Body Mass Index.
Facilitate collection of blood and cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers:
- Accompany study volunteers to clinical research unit for yearly blood draws and for biennial lumbar punctures performed by the study physician;
- Handle human specimens including tubes of blood, CSF, and screening urine sample;
- Package and ship samples for processing per the research protocol.
Manage and maintain scientific and regulatory files:
- Maintain IRB approval. Keep the Study Regulatory Binder up to date.
- Perform online literature searches (Endnote and PDFs);
- Assist in preparing grant proposals and articles for publication, including tables and graphs.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience;
- Previous experience with subject recruitment in a research environment;
- Highly reliable with demonstrated organizational ability;
- Accurate record keeping and attention to detail;
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field gained through education or experience;
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing;
- Basic math/statistical skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- 6 - 12months or more of related research experience;
- Ability to communicate in Mandarin proficiently;
- Experience with elderly, cognitively impaired, anxious, and/or difficult subjects;
- Research experience in psychological test administration;
- Knowledge of medical terms and abbreviations relevant to obtaining and coding medical history;
- Exposure to brain imaging modalities;
- Experience in database management or experience using statistical programs;
- Familiarity with PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro and Endnote.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to office and hospital/clinical environment. Exposure to office and imaging (i.e., MRI and PET centers) equipment. Some exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM? Please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.