Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a part-time Biostatistician to provide statistical and mathematical expertise in support of the Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) study done in collaboration with researchers at Lawrence Livermore National Labs and Stanford University. The specific goal of the study is to apply machine learning to de-identified VA EHRs to determine whether prescribed medications influence the risk of ALS or progression of the disease.
The Biostatistician will apply statistical expertise and techniques while working with de-identified VA electronic health records (EHRs) to determine and certify whether the dataset is deidentified.
This is a temporary hourly-paid position located in Palo Alto, CA, offering work from home flexibility, sick pay, 401(k), wellness program and commuter benefits. Work hours and schedule are flexible: the Biostatistician can work a few hours a week or close to a full-time schedule, depending on their availability, to complete the assigned task of certifying the dataset.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Serve as the subject matter expert for the statistical analyses performed on study data;
- Determine the risk that the information could be used, alone or in combination with other reasonably available information, by an anticipated recipient to identify an individual who is a subject of the information is very small;
- Document the methods and results of the analysis that justify such determination.
- Master's degree required; Ph.D. preferred.
- Experience with statistical and scientific principles and methods for de-identification;
- Demonstrated excellence in general areas of biostatistical expertise, which may include clinical trial design and analysis, survival analysis, longitudinal data analysis, causal inference, statistical genetics, or statistical computing;
- Experience in clinical trial design, conduct, statistical analysis and interpretation;
- Proficient in SAS, STATA, or R;
- Strong ability to communicate technical results to both technical and non-technical audience (written and verbal);
- Ability to work independently and within a team context;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail;
- Strong intellectual curiosity.
- Desired: Knowledge of VA data and its data design; Experience in completing assignments that involve initiating, applying, and planning major clinical research studies.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.