Life Sciences Research Assistant - Pulmonary Research
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is looking for a part-time Research Assistant to join the Nicolls Laboratory and support investigations that study pathophysiology causes and develop treatments for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. It is rewarding to know that your hard work as a Research Assistant makes a difference in the lives of others.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Research Assistant will participate in animal husbandry under the supervision of Principal Investigator - Mark Nicolls, M.D., and Research Director.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology and animal studies.
The Research Assistant will work 5-10 hours a week in Palo Alto, CA. Occasional travel may be required to Stanford Research Park.
PAVIR offers sick pay, 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities.
At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Maintain rat and mouse colonies including breeding, weaning, and PCR genotyping.
- Perform animal husbandry related duties as required.
- Perform other wet lab duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Bachelor's degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a graduation date scheduled for 2021) or equivalent experience.
- Applicable experience in rodent handling is required.
- 1-2 years of related work experience desired.
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Previous laboratory experience with animal experimentation highly desired.
- Previous experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques.
- Understanding of animal physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and some mathematical skills.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience.
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures.
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to web lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemical or reagents. Occasional travel may be required to Stanford Research Park.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM? If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must click on the green Apply Externally button. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.