Legal Technology Project Manager
Legal Technology Project Manager – Legal Services State Support
Legal Services State Support (State Support) is seeking a full-time Legal Technology Project Manager. State Support is a project of the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition (MLSC) and is housed within Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid in its St. Paul office. State Support is a nationally recognized organization whose mission is to improve access to justice for all Minnesotans. State Support’s unique role is to provide information, connections, and tools for the public and for advocates, and to support the civil legal aid programs who share our mission. Our strength is leveraging technology to provide this support broadly throughout the state. We are sustained by our relationship with MLSC programs and direct grants.
State Support does not provide direct representation to clients. We work collaboratively as a small team. Each team member leads one or more projects and is encouraged to think creatively about how best to achieve the goals of their projects. In addition to the projects they lead, team members help out with other projects as needed.
State Support plays an essential role in Minnesota’s civil justice system. Our work falls into the following focus areas:
· Educate the Public About Legal Issues. This includes publishing fact sheets and booklets and managing a library of other legal education materials on LawHelpMN.org.
· Improve Client Referrals to Providers. State Support recently launched a redesigned LawHelpMN.org and is working on a new online intake system. The new site contains LawHelpMN Guide, a triage system directing people to the best available resource for their legal problem. In addition to these new projects, our work in this area also includes online intake, a case placement tool on our advocate site, and the LiveChat navigation assistance.
· Strengthen the Advocate Community Through Skills-Based and Legal Education. Our activities in this area include hosting 15-20 poverty law continuing legal education (CLE) trainings per year and a biennial statewide conference, coordinating listservs and practice groups, and managing a library of practice resources on our advocate website, ProJusticeMN.org.
· Strengthen the Advocate Community Through System-Wide Support. Our activities in this area include housing statewide volunteer resources on ProJusticeMN.org, coordinating bimonthly meetings of the legal aid provider network, publishing a blog and monthly e-newsletter with legal aid news, maintaining a staff directory of all legal aid providers across the state, and posting available legal aid positions. Our program website, MNLegalServices.org, highlights our work in this area and serves as an umbrella site for the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition.
· Expand Free Legal Services. By accessing brief legal services online, more clients get legal assistance to help them solve their problem. Our activities in this area include online document assembly tools on LawHelpMN.org and managing MNLegalAdvice.org, a statewide online legal advice website.
This position is the lead technology project manager of State Support’s access to justice projects that have a technology focus. The position is responsible for three primary projects: 1) ongoing technical, SEO, and usability enhancements to Minnesota’s statewide legal information website, LawHelpMN.org; 2) managing expansion of a pilot online intake system integrated with LawHelpMN.org, and ongoing support and improvements to the online intake system; and 3) supporting a system-wide transition to the LegalServer case management system and ongoing support to ensure LegalServer enhances coordination within and between the civil legal aid community and access to justice partner organizations. Responsibilities include communicating with developers, analyzing technology needs within the civil legal services community, facilitating monthly LegalServer workgroup meetings, using Google Analytics and other reporting to make data-driven decisions, and project planning and management to ensure projects meet the legal services community’s needs and are completed on time and within budget. This is a unique job that provides an exciting opportunity to make a statewide impact on improving access to justice for all Minnesotans.
Applicants should have either three years of legal experience or technical project management experience.
Applicants must also have:
· a demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income/vulnerable clients
· excellent communication, analytical, and writing skills, including:
a) the ability to explain technical concepts to those without a technical background
b) the ability to explain project requirements to developers
c) strong interpersonal skills and experience working in a team-based setting
· a demonstrated aptitude and interest in technology-based approaches toward increasing access to justice
· proficiency using Microsoft Suite
· project planning and project management experience
Experience in poverty law, legal services, or equivalent general practice is preferred. Familiarity with the Drupal website content management platform and LegalServer case management system are preferred. Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences and relevant language skills (particularly Spanish, Hmong, or Somali) are a plus.
Up to $61,218 DOE. Benefits include generous vacation, sick leave, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, and family medical insurance.
As soon as possible after position is filled.
Cover letter and resume with references should be submitted online at www.mylegalaid.org/employment by Monday, August 24, 2020. Late applications will be considered until the position is filled.
No calls please.
Legal Services State Support/Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an
equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.