Sales Associate - Seasonal Fall 2020
The University Co-op is an independent bookstore and the largest Longhorn retailer; but we’re more than just a store. As a nonprofit, 100% of the profits from our retail business have benefitted the students, faculty and staff at the University of Texas at Austin through funding, sponsorships, academic awards, internship programs, and membership discount.
Our mission is to improve the lives of the students, faculty and staff at the University of Texas at Austin with a business where people love to shop, work, and connect, and the people who work here have made that charitable mission possible for over 120 years.
As a Sales Associate, you hold an important position within the University Co-op retail structure. Reporting to the Store Director and Floor Managers, you will ensure that customer service is the priority when on the sales floor. You are responsible for outstanding customer service as well as various business functions within the Co-op culture and you will maintain your sales area to our standards of excellence. You will frequently engage with customers and co-workers throughout your workday, demonstrating world-class Customer Service throughout these interactions.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide world-class customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Stock the selling floor with product in a timely manner, based on established merchandising standards.
- Recover selling floor during each shift and assist in any other area of the store as required.
- Protect company assets by following all inventory control and loss prevention standards.
- Act with integrity and trust, and promote the core Co-op values.
- Operate cash register and other operational duties such as pricing, merchandising, and maximizing visual standards.
- Complete other duties as required or requested based on provided duty guidelines and timelines.
Qualifications and Skills
Qualified candidates for the Sales Associate position will have at minimum a High School Diploma or GED. Ideally, candidates will have some retail experience including Point of Sale/Cash Register proficiency and customer service.
The Sales Associate is a part-time nonexempt position requiring flexible hours that meet our retail needs. These hours will include a variable schedule from week-to-week that may include early mornings, days, nights, weekends and holidays.
The Sales Associate works primarily indoors, working the majority of the time on the sales floor. The physical demands of this position require near and far visual acuity, constant use of hands, fingers, hand/wrist/elbow motion, continuous sitting, standing, walking, using stairs, hearing, talking, bending, crouching, and working closely with others. Some package handling and stock movement may be required.
The University Co-op provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.