Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor – VRNA
August 10, 2020
Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council is a non-profit organization formed by the Native American Tribes of Wisconsin. We serve all WI tribes by providing administration of grant-funded programs either directly or with sub grants. Programs range from Child and Maternal services to Education to Disability and Elder benefits. Our Mission is: To Enhance the Quality of Life for all Native People.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor – Vocational Rehabilitation for Native Americans
The Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor provides a full range of vocational rehabilitation services to eligible Native Americans with disabilities to achieve successful employment outcomes. Pursue and maintain cooperative relationships with other agencies. Daily attendance is an essential function of this position. The office location for this position is Lac du Flambeau, but will also serve Sokaogon, Forest County Potawatomi, and Lac Vieux Desert. Weekly travel will be required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine eligibility of Native Americans to participate in vocational rehabilitation. Communicate eligibility to prospective clients. Provide ineligible individual with alternative resource suggestions. Complete necessary documentation.
- Develop and manage caseload in the provision of vocational and rehabilitation services to eligible Native Americans with disabilities including, but not limited to: vocational counseling and planning, arranging for vocational evaluation and training, developing and managing a caseload, documenting casework, and providing job placement and follow-up to job ready individuals.
- Gather, review and analyze client’s medical, psychological, and vocational background information. Arranges for and purchases additional vocational evaluation and/or psychological assessments as necessary.
- Review current job market information and evaluation data with clients to increase understanding of opportunities available and identify employment options most practical to pursue.
- Develop and implement an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) in cooperation with clients. Provide and/or coordinate services with other agencies necessary to implement the IPE. Contact employers for client placement opportunities.
- Provide ongoing vocational and personal counseling and support to assist client in completing the rehabilitation plan. Counsel clients on the job search process. Contact employed clients and identify other support needed to ensure continued employment success.
- Develop and maintain ongoing working relationships with other public and private agencies that may have responsibilities and/or the ability to provide services to individuals with disabilities.
- Contact employers within assigned geographical area for the purpose of promoting the job placement of disabled individuals and for the development of on-the-job training programs. Explore current employment opportunities for the disabled.
- Complete necessary documentation for all casework activities to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations, policies, and procedures and a complete and accurate client file. Communicate with other agencies as necessary on case progress.
- Network with other professionals in the field and in related fields to increase individual knowledge and understanding of various disabilities, vocational information, and resources available.
An equivalent combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities may be considered. Required: Bachelor’s degree in Vocational Rehabilitation, Counseling, Human Services, Social Work or related field. Preferred: Minimum of two years’ experience in human services. Experience with a Native American Tribal organization and/or not-for-profit agency. Individual must possess: excellent verbal and written communication skills; professional demeanor and appearance; problem solving skills; ability to manage time effectively; self-motivation skills; ability to build positive work relationships with internal and external customers; ability to interact professionally with a wide variety of people. Individual must possess excellent language skills and be able to read and understand technical information. Must be able to perform basic math (add, subtract, multiply, divide). Must possess valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation with adequate insurance and ability to travel.
This is a full-time salaried exempt position working Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm The office location for this position is Lac du Flambeau, but will also serve Sokaogon, Forest County Potawatomi, and Lac Vieux Desert. Weekly travel will be required. The salary range is $40,000 - $50,000 annually (based on education and experience) with benefits including Annual/Personal Leave, Holiday Pay, Health, Dental, Life, STD and LTD Insurance, FSA and 401(k) Retirement Plan. Background check and drug screen are required before employment. Due to COVID-19, a period of self-isolation may be required if relocating to the area.
*Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (GLITC) is an equal opportunity employer that applies Native American Preference as defined in Section 703(i) of the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, 42 U.S.C. § 2000e-2(i). Consistent with the referenced Native American Preference, it is the policy of GLITC to provide employment, compensation, and other benefits related to employment based on qualifications of the job applied for, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, veteran status or disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law. As an equal opportunity employer, GLITC intends to comply fully with all federal and state laws and the information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. Disabled applicants may request a needed accommodation from the representative of the Human Resource Department, PO Box 9 Lac Du Flambeau, WI 54538 or phone (715) 588-1069 or (800) 472-7207.
**Closing date is 9/4/20**