Senior Standards Engineer
Professional Engineer 2 – Senior Standards Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Engineering and Technical Services Branch
Traffic-Roadway Section/Roadway Engineering Unit
As our senior standards engineer, you will be our statewide technical expert in roadway engineering with a focus on the areas of the Highway Design Manual and the Oregon Standard Drawings. In this role, you will assist designers in our technical centers and the engineering consultant community. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Provide engineering guidance on design standards and serve as a technical standard drawings expert.
- Discuss proposed changes and coordinate revisions to the Highway Design Manual.
- Lead a team of expert department engineers and designers to oversee revisions to the Highway Design Manual.
- Seek suggested changes and comments for the Highway Design Manual from internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise management on complex issues involving roadway design and operations.
- Originate, maintain, revise, approve and interpret the Oregon Standard Drawings.
- Provide training assistance at workshops and meetings.
- Represent the agency with vendors to determine acceptability of construction materials and/or processes for use on ODOT projects.
- Investigate and establish design criteria and provide solutions to special design problems.
- Serve as statewide chair of computer aided design standards committee.
- Serve as technical expert for drafting standards within the roadway discipline.
- Represent the agency on professional committees AASHTO subcommittees and other national groups.
- Work is performed in a typical design cubicle with occasional field work throughout the state required.
- Occasional out-of-state travel required.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages. Click here to visit our full benefits website.
- Multimodal ride sharing! Get There is Oregon’s easy-to-use carpool matching tool and trip planner that will get you where you need to go.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer's (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Highly developed professional engineering knowledge and extensive experience in roadway design.
- Experience developing design guidance and policies.
- Experience leading and mentoring junior engineering staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Learn more and apply!
This recruitment is open until filled. The first round of screening is scheduled for Monday, August 17, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. We encourage you to not delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call 971-273-8687 or email odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer