Smart Growth Planning Intern
The Office of Smart Growth requests one intern for the fall to support FY21 studies and special projects. Potential candidates should be available for 8 to 12 hours per week. The ideal candidate will demonstrate interest in land use and transportation planning, smart growth planning principles, economic development, and real estate development. We expect that a new intern will contribute to important planning efforts, including:
- Conducting research and developing case studies related to the redevelopment and/or conversion of shopping malls to other land uses and formats.
- Identifying best practices related to the preservation of cultural heritage in Philadelphia neighborhoods and other communities throughout the region.
- Station area planning for the Hunting Park Broad Street Line Station.
- Tracking the use and adoption of various Smart Growth tools and policies.
Candidates with strong written, verbal, and graphic communication skills are encouraged to apply. Individuals proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, GIS, and the Adobe Creative Suite are particularly attractive to the department.
- Assist professional staff with research and data collection and management;
- Generate text, tables, and graphics to potentially be used in planning reports and memos; and,
- Conduct field work if and when necessary and appropriate to do so.
- Knowledge of and experience with general regional planning, economic development, and smart growth principles.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and problem solve.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel in particular), GIS, and Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Basic knowledge of the Philadelphia region is desired.
- Ability to work independently, including remotely if necessary, as well as in teams.
Potential candidates should be available for 8 to 15 hours per week.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Students with Work-Study funding are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education and Training
Must have completed at least THREE YEARS of a college/university program or be enrolled in a master's, or an equivalent combination of experience and training, plus substantial experience, interest, or involvement in planning.
Please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.