EXECUTIVE NEWS PRODUCER (Night-side)
News – Executive News Producer (Night-side)
KKTV, Colorado Springs, CO
ABOUT GRAY TELEVISION:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in over 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KKTV is located in picturesque Downtown Colorado Springs in Colorado, and with breathtaking views of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, it's immediately easy to see why people are flocking to colorful Southern Colorado! KKTV 11 News is the Breaking News and Weather Leader in Southern Colorado, and we always put the safety of our viewers first. With more than 65 years of excellence in the community, a multitude of awards including Emmy, Murrow, and Colorado Broadcaster's Association awards, and state-of-the-art technology, being the leader in the community is integral to the culture of KKTV. Our departments work together as a team to serve our community. We are involved with local non-profits like Pikes Peak United Way and Care and Share Food Bank, and we sponsor fun events like the annual Christmas parade and balloon festival. We work hard and we also like to have fun together. Southern Colorado is our home, and we strive every day to make it an even better place to live and work.
KKTV is searching for a team player and great writer to join us as an Executive News Producer (Night-side). We are looking for a producer who can add urgency to their copy and knows how to adjust on the fly when breaking news changes our daily plans. Our producers must know how to edit scripts and video for television and the web. Successful candidates must utilize strong editorial, journalistic and communication skills. Our producers have multiple live capabilities to put together an informative, fast-paced newscast.
· Develop story ideas
· Create a newscast rundown
· Write teases
· Call sources for new/updated information
· Create graphics to use during newscasts
· Be a leader in the control room
· Be a leader in the newsroom
· Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
· Work with reporters and news managers to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
· Approve reporters scripts
· Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
· Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
· Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
· Make time-sensitive decisions
· Write clearly for multiple platforms on tight deadlines
· Demonstrate creativity and strong editorial judgment
· Follow journalistic and libel laws
· Must be able to work long hours and cover shifts as needed
· College degree in Journalism or Mass Communications is required
· Two years producing experience required
· Newsroom leadership experience preferred but not required
· Clean driving record and a valid driver's license
· Applicable college degree and at least one year experience at broadcast station
· Employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory completion of the application process which includes drug screening
· KKTV E-Verify participant
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings OR email your resume to the News Director.
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.