2020 Winter Operations Internships
San Antonio Zoo’s internship program is designed to allow college students and graduates an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in their chosen field. Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. However, credit hours may be earned depending on the intern’s school policy regarding internships. Interns are required to work for a minimum of 200 hours.
Internships are available throughout the year, but positions are limited and occasionally may not be available. Applications are accepted throughout the year for our Spring, Summer and Fall internship sessions. Please expect a 2-3 week application processing time after the deadline date. We will contact you for an interview using the email address on your application.
Applications will not be reviewed without a transcript. Unofficial transcripts are accepted but they will be verified with the school. We accept applications from alumni with a final transcript or degree certificate.
These internships may include experiencing the daily operations of the Marketing, Graphics, Education, and Revenue departments at the zoo. These internships are not animal care related.
- Marketing – Gain experience in digital marketing, public relations, event planning, and in-park marketing.
- Development – Work with our Development Team on donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Also, gain experience in event planning, grant writing, and fundraising campaigns.
- Revenue– Work with our largest department at the zoo that includes our culinary, warehouse and gift shops and gains experience in a fun work setting.
- Education Evaluation and Guest Research Internships – Research guest behavior and perform program evaluation studies.
- Playleader – Gain Experience in nature play activities focused on ages 0-5 in an informal education setting.
- Citizen Science – Work with the Monarch Larval Monitoring System, collect data and input data using iNaturalist and the Journey North.
- Human Resources – They will assist with engaging new hired Zoo Crew. Will also learn other modules of H.R. functions including recruiting, training, benefits, rewards and more.
- Will Smith Zoo School – Learn the benefits of connecting children with nature through hands-on experiences with children and guidance from teachers. They will develop and implement developmentally appropriate activities for students while creating and administering evaluations to document experiences in outdoor learning environments.
WINTER 2020 INTERNSHIP SESSIONS:
We are now accepting applications for our Winter 2020 internship sessions. View our available programs below and click the Apply Here button to start your internship application.
Applicants must complete the application online. After completing the college internship application online, applicants should email their transcripts to Rachel Buck at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your completed application by September 1, 2020.
Winter Internship Session: November 2020 – January 2021.
Incomplete internship applications will not be considered.