Legal Editor I
Edits legislative documents, code revisions, and council correspondence for proper grammar and spelling, accuracy of legal citations, and correct form. Works closely with council staff to ensure accuracy of documents according to council style and house and senate rules. Participates in updating the statutes database after each legislative session. Work is closely reviewed.
Primary responsibilities for this position include:
- Edits documents produced by council staff for proper grammar and spelling, accuracy of legal citations, and correct form.
- Works closely with drafting attorneys, research staff, and other council staff to ensure accuracy of documents according to council style and house and senate rules.
- Reads drafts and bills against current law.
- Prepares legislation for engrossment and enrollment.
- Incorporates amendments into bills and prepares certification pages for enrollment.
- Reviews enrolled bills in updating the statutes database after each legislative session.
- Edits code revisions and may edit council publications during the interim.
- Participates in interim work groups.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in English, journalism, a foreign language, or a related field. Copyediting or proofreading experience preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Thorough knowledge of language, vocabulary, grammar, and spelling.
- High-level reading comprehension.
- Skill in analyzing and organizing information and solving problems.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using reference materials effectively.
- Ability to learn council software applications.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work on tasks requiring meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work well and diplomatically with others.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and adapt to changes in workload.
- Ability to maintain professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism of work performance by reviewers.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, on-call, and occasional late nights with no notice.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of material and information.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.