Private Equity Analyst
The Foss Mountain Company (FMC) Fall Internship – Private Equity Analyst
Title: Private Equity Analyst Intern
Start Date: Beginning Fall Semester (August/September)
Time Commitment: Part Time (10-15 hrs/week) for at least 3 months.
Location: All internships can be remote/virtual. For those based in San Diego, The Foss Mountain Company has office space available that meets social distancing requirements.
***The Foss Mountain Company can adjust the description and hours for you to receive academic credit***
The Foss Mountain Company Overview (www.fossmtn.co): FMC is an investment fund (search fund) focused on acquiring and operating one small-to-medium-sized business ($5m - $40m). The fund is backed by 21 distinct investors, consisting of highly accomplished entrepreneurs, private equity investors and family offices. The fund was founded by Ian Hossfeld, a former Navy SEAL officer and HBS MBA.
Description of Analyst Role
The internship is modeled after the Harvard Business School’s “Field Course: Entrepreneurship through Acquisition” and it will involve a hands-on learning experience with many of the core activities involved with running a startup private equity firm. An Analyst should expect to develop a fundamental knowledge of the process by which middle market companies are bought and sold, by both instructional sessions and learning by doing. Throughout the course of the internship, you should expect to work on the following:
- Research and identify attractive industries based on FMC's investment criteria
- Develop investment theses and an understanding of business models for selected industries
- Production of emails for targeted small businesses
- Creation of lists for key business contacts and acquisition targets
- Review of confidential information on potential acquisitions
- Participation in phone calls with investment bankers and small business owners
-Assist with preparation of investor relations material and phone calls
- Mentorship from FMC's Managing Partner and weekly meetings to discuss progress
- Strong business intuition
- Strong analytical abilities
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral
- A keen interest in business and entrepreneurship
- A strong work ethic
- An entrepreneurial, energetic, optimistic attitude
- A business-related major
- At least 1 year of undergraduate experience (i.e. a rising Sophomore or older)
- Experience working in sales
- A good understanding of financial statements
If you are a motivated individual with an entrepreneurial bent interested in learning about how businesses are bought and sold in the lower middle-market, apply!
This internship will not be highly curated with narrow roles and responsibilities. We are looking for individuals with a can-do attitude who will be given increased opportunities based on demonstrated aptitude.
· This is an unpaid internship and there is no expectation of future employment or payment.
· The internship is modeled off of “Field Course: Entrepreneurship thru Acquisition” taught at the Harvard Business School (https://www.hbs.edu/coursecatalog/6452.html). It will include classroom like instruction and learning by doing. Instructional material will be provided by The Foss Mountain Company.
· If the intern is interested in receiving academic credit, it is their responsibility to file all paperwork and meet the prescribed requirements. The Foss Mountain Company will work with the intern and their school to meet requirements within reason.
· Start and finish date is flexible to align with the intern’s academic calendar.
· The employer is veteran friendly.