Data Analyst (Contractor)
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH), Bureau of Community Health and Prevention (BCHAP) is seeking an experienced Data Analyst (Contractor) to be responsible for collection, review, abstraction and code information from the Weapon-related Injury Surveillance System (WRISS) on a temporary basis. The contractor will establish case definitions, develop data validation measures, conduct statistical analysis, create reports and presentations using WRISS and other injury datasets.
The incumbent will work closely with the Division of Violence and Injury Prevention (DVIP) by providing data that will help inform programmatic and evaluation activities, preparing statistical reports and presentations based on data findings for interdepartmental, external public oriented, and professional publications. The contractor will also conduct analysis using SAS programs, datasets, and documentation for reproducibility, and will respond to data requests form the Communications Office, other MDPH bureaus, advocacy groups, other governmental agencies, and the public in a timely manner.
Please note: Proven verbal and written communication skills essential for this role. Applicants should attach a brief writing sample when submitting their applications. This position will pay up to $40 per hour.
- A Master’s degree with a major in epidemiology.
- Proficient in analyzing and determining the applicability of scientific data, drawing conclusions, and making appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to write effective technical reports for various internal and external stakeholders, including medical, scientific and lay audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Access and Excel.
- Prior experience in violence or injury related data research or surveillance is strongly preferred.
- Skilled in data collection methods, standards, and analysis.
- Working knowledge of a standard statistical software package such as SAS or SPSS, and ability to pass a SAS test.
Period of Service: 07/12/2020 – 03/31/2021 (Renewable subject to appropriation)
- Benefits are unavailable with the exception of sick leave accruals.
- Contracts are renewable, subject to the Department approval, performance, and allocation of funds.
- Merit and C.O.L.A. increases may be included.
- All employees will be paid on a biweekly basis and must have direct deposit.
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines.
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
For questions regarding this requisition, please contact Executive Office of Health and Human Services Human Resources at 1-800- 510-4122 Ext. #2