Accountant Trainee Program
1649 Accountant Trainee Program
Fostering Future Financial Leaders
Application Filing Deadline:
Apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time after
5:00 p.m. PDT on Monday, August 31, 2020.
Established to ensure excellent performance in the City and County of San Francisco's Accountant Series.
Who We Are:
San Francisco International Airport (SFO), an enterprise department of the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF) is searching for individuals to be part of the City and County of San Francisco’s (CCSF) 1649 Accountant Trainee Program. The 1649 Accountant Trainee Program is a truly an amazing opportunity for talented individuals who are self-motivated, collaborative, eager to learn and have a desire to develop their accounting skills. This 18-month program is designed for you to become a skilled government accountant with the ability to promote into professional-level accounting positions. During the program, you will expand your formal education, receive hands-on experience and get mentored by highly skilled government accountants. You will also develop strong analytical and communication skills and become experienced in using technology and financial information systems. Upon completion of this program, successful graduates will be promoted into the Permanent Civil Service 1652 Accountant II classification.
- Get mentored by higher-level, experienced accountants throughout the City departments.
- Receive two 9-month rotations, generally at two different departments, both large and small.
- Attend various training workshops to build technical competencies and develop an understanding of the City’s purchasing and accounting procedures.
- Receive periodic performance assessments to measure competencies throughout the program
- Rotational and final placements are determined by the 1649 Program Steering Committee based on competencies, needs and interests.
- Starting 1649 Intern Salary is $67, 938.00. The City also offers flexible benefit plans with pretax elections, which include: medical, dental, and vision insurance; the City’s defined benefit retirement plan; deferred compensation plan; long-term disability insurance; life insurance; and a generous paid time off package.
Begin Your Public Service Accounting Career Today!
Ensure you meet the minimum qualifications:
Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university WITH eighteen (18) semester units or twenty-four (24) quarter units of coursework in Accounting at the time of appointment.
- Only classes that are 3 units or more will be counted towards coursework requirement. One or two-unit accounting electives will NOT be considered qualifying coursework, and neither will any related coursework (e.g. finance, economics, math, QuickBooks/Excel courses).
Testimonials: An Expansive 1649 Alumni Network
Here’s what previous 1649 Alumni had to say about their time in the Program:
“The 1649 program is an excellent training ground, where interns learn multiple aspects of governmental accounting, budgeting, and operations to help them understand the big picture and be better equipped in their career.”
“This is a comprehensive accounting internship that goes beyond debits and credits – you will learn how government works and contribute to the betterment of your community.”
“The 1649 Program is a nationally recognized internship that will give you extensive and highly valuable work experience in accounting, financial reporting, and financial management of a multibillion-dollar city government. The relationships you will build and the experience that you will gain as a 1649 Accountant Intern will place you on the path to a successful career in governmental accounting and finance. I credit my experience in the 1649 Program for accelerating my career advancement as an accounting and finance professional with the City and County of San Francisco.”
“The 1649 Program is the best learning and career development opportunity I have ever had in my career life. I am very thankful to the City and the Controller’s Office for this chance to learn and grow!”
To learn more about this program visit: https://sfcontroller.org/1649-accountant-intern-program
To apply, visit the City & County of San Francisco’s Employment website by clicking on the green "Apply Externally" button.