Policy Research Specialist
Salient Strategies conducts and communicates independent, high-quality research to improve policy and practice on behalf of our client's interests. Working with policymakers, researchers, educators, community groups, and others, the firm seeks to advance evidence-based policies that support the goals of our diverse client portfolio (K-12 education, Healthcare, Local Governments, Emerging Technology, among others).
Policy interns will be assigned to one of the Salient Strategies Senior Partners and work directly with our policy analyst team. Interns will meet with policymakers, engage in regular policy discussions, conduct in-depth research, and receive extensive feedback on written products. Outstanding writing may be selected for publication as a blog post, op-ed, or policy brief.
Core Responsibilities & Duties: Interns will work directly with members of the Salient executive team and will:
- Assist with a broad set of activities that support policy advancement at the federal and state level, such as legislative research, legislative briefing/hearings attendance, and memo drafting.
- Complete research tasks as assigned, such as conducting literature reviews and background research; finding, organizing, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data; and preparing memos, briefs, reports, and presentations.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications: We’re looking for an undergraduate or graduate students interested in the intersection of research and public policy. The ideal candidate will possess:
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience working on policy research, policy and advocacy, federal/state policies and processes, or within the Texas landscape
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity and experience with qualitative and quantitative research and analysis.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
To apply: Remote and in-person applicants will be considered. The application deadline for fall 2020 internships is August 24th.
Please submit your resume, a cover letter expressing interest in the position with dates of availability, contact information for three references (including telephone numbers and email addresses), and a writing sample that highlights your research and analysis skills.