Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the financial activities of the programme. The Finance Manager carries out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, GSO, field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme.
Emergency health and WASH projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in nord-east Congo. Developmental typed projects (health, WASH and Infrastructure) aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change to improve public health outcomes and increase accessibility.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in DR Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
October 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Reconcile / verify bank and cash amounts on a regular basis.
- Ensure payments are made and justified in a timely fashion.
- Detail expenditure through monthly expense sheets for all cash accounts.
- Prepare the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met.
- Prepare the monthly financial accounts. Supporting field bases in financial matters.
- Provide functional supervision to Project Support Managers in field locations.
- Liaise with the Global Support Office (GSO) Finance Officer and specifically as issues arise or when changes occur to the policies and procedures for financial operations.
- Verify and authorizing payments approved by Budget holders.
- Monitor project spending on an on-going (monthly) basis, communicating with the relevant programme managers about any under / over spend and working with them on budget forecasts to agree appropriate actions required in order to bring spending in line with approved budgets.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed in the Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring.
- Work with Budget holders, Grants Manager and GSO staff in the preparation and development of budgets for projects and shared costs.
- Lead end of year financial closure on the field supporting the PFO in GSO.
- Contribute to the financial management of signed donor grants.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Work with HR to ensure the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made and subsequently paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Support the GM and GSO Programme Finance Officer (PFO) in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Manage and oversee the programme finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, etc.
- Provide training, advice, mentoring and coaching as required to all relevant staff on financial management, procedures, internal controls and financial requirements of donors.
- Liaise with local banks as Medair financial focal point.
- Participate in meetings with donors and partners regarding project financial performance.
- Control the in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part 2 completed.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least two years.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- High numeracy skills. Excellent attention to detail. Good document writing skills.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Compassionate, self-motivated, energetic, autonomous.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.