Investment Analyst, Real Estate- Graaskamp
Making a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With almost $129 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 642,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, the 9th largest public pension fund in the U.S. and 25th largest public or private pension fund in the world.
We are a mission-driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating respectable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB has long been recognized as an investment leader because of its success in maintaining the WRS and because of the highly qualified staff overseeing the retirement trust funds. SWIB’s internal team invests a majority of its assets under management. Consequently, SWIB is committed to investing in professionals that will keep the organization at the forefront of the investment industry. As an innovative organization, SWIB offers professional development opportunities that enable staff to grow and develop. Approximately 61 percent of SWIB's investment professionals are Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholders.
About the Team
SWIB is seeking a Real Estate Investment Analyst for its Real Estate Investment Team. This Investment Analyst will be responsible for supporting SWIB’s private real estate investments and a dedicated team of real-estate investment professionals.
The Real Estate Portfolio, with a market value of close to $8 billion, seeks to achieve strong returns while managing the risk of drawdowns, and to outperform the NCREIF ODCE index over rolling five-year periods. The portfolio includes a variety of strategies (core, value-add, opportunistic, etc.), property types (multi-family, industrial, retail, office, senior housing, hospitality, etc.), and structures (limited partnerships, separate accounts, joint ventures, etc.).
The Real Estate Investment Analyst at the State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) assists the real estate division in the analysis and management of SWIB's Real Estate Equity portfolio. The Real Estate Analyst is responsible for the following:
PORTFOLIO ANALYSIS, PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT AND RISK REPORTING
- Develop and generate portfolio analysis and reports on a recurring and special-needs basis encompassing current holdings, unfunded commitments, fees, portfolio composition, risk factors, attribution analysis, investment returns, cash flow forecasting, and pipeline opportunities.
- Assist in producing presentation materials for the Annual Real Estate Strategy to the Board of Trustees and the Quarterly Activity Report to the Investment Committee.
- Monitor the portfolio's compliance with SWIB's Investment Guidelines.
- Coordinate the response to data and information requests from internal and external groups including Operations Finance, Legal, Internal Audit, the Legislative Audit Bureau, SWIB’s Real Estate Consultant and others.
NEW INVESTMENTS AND ASSET MANAGEMENT
- Participate in discussions with the real estate staff regarding potential investments.
- Use third-party research providers and in-house data to build and review financial models to support the evaluation of new transactions.
- Support research into new investment opportunities including market analysis, participation in appropriate meetings, and asset and market tours.
- Assist with asset management responsibilities including site inspections, review of business plans and major decisions and participation in quarterly or annual meetings.
DATA AND RECORDS MANAGEMENT
- Develop proficiency in SWIB’s collection, storage and use of underlying real estate investment data and the implementation and management of the data management system (eFront).
- Coordinate with Operations to ensure timely and accurate receipt and processing of quarterly questionnaires, capital calls, quarterly and annual audit financial reports, and Certificates of Compliance.
- Serve as the Records Coordinator and work with SWIB’s Records Officer as needed to ensure compliance and appropriate processes and procedures.
- Maintain benchmark exposure statistics and quarterly returns and work with Operations and Performance to ensure accuracy.
- Maintain individual asset management company and contact information.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Participate in biweekly Private Markets Group meetings.
- Attend industry seminars and continuing education conferences to facilitate understanding of real estate markets, investment strategies, portfolio management, and other relevant topics.
- Assist the real estate staff with various quantitative research projects as requested.
- Assist in the hiring and training of any real estate interns.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Masters’ Degree in a relevant area of study; CAIA or CFA designation or the willingness/desire to pursue are pluses.
- 1-3 years of Real Estate Investment Analysis experience is ideal.
- Proven investment and financial analysis skills.
- Skilled in the use of databases and Microsoft Office applications e.g. Excel modeling skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of different property types and markets. Understanding of portfolio construction and importance of market impact on various portfolio characteristics.
- Ability to capture reporting and performance data and effectively present the information.
- Understanding of industry-standard performance measurement and benchmarking practices and calculations.
- Interpersonal skills to work with accounting operations, custodian, and IT staff regarding asset allocation, performance measurement, and risk measurement issues.
- Ability to monitor current practices and improve efficiency.
- Commitment to continuing education and to staying abreast of real estate industry trends.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and to work effectively when under pressure.
- Competitive McLagan-based salary
- Meaningful performance-based incentive compensation
- A comprehensive benefit package
- Educational and training opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Challenging work in a professional environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.