Area Construction Engineer
The Hampton Roads District is seeking an Area Construction Engineer for Major Projects Group to assist in overseeing large complex construction projects.
As a VDOT Area Construction Engineer, you will:
- Independently perform and oversee contract construction activities within a geographic region;
- Identify methods for improvement and make cost effective recommendations that are in compliance with safety, environmental, federal and state standards;
- Ensure continuous improvement of all aspects of contract construction;
- Provide direction, leadership, and professional engineering advice to staff and serve as responsible charge engineer for highway construction functions.
- Work on some of the largest construction projects within the District
You are minimally qualified if you have:
- Experience reflecting knowledge of transportation construction principles and practices, transportation project management, processes, quality assurance and quality control methods.
- Experience reflecting knowledge of engineering design for roadways, structures, drainage and environmental state and federal standards related to highway design and construction.
- Experience applying knowledge of federal, FHWA, state and local transportation rules, regulations and policies.
- Ability to oversee construction activities for multiple large scale and complex projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with diverse audiences and to make presentation and conduct meetings.
- Skill in project scheduling and management.
- Knowledge of quality assurance and control methods.
- Skill in use of computers and software applications to perform tasks which support VDOT operations.
- Valid Professional Engineer’s License.
- Valid driver’s license
Preferred qualifications include:
- Progressively responsible experience in management and administration of diversified transportation engineering or construction program.
- Extensive experience leading and supervising construction and engineering staff.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Certification as Certified Construction Manager (CCM).
- Extensive experience conducting constructability reviews focusing on scheduling, assessments, and report recommendations for highways and structures.
- Experience in managing large design build and design bid build projects with values over $60M.