Job Title: Veteran Specialist
Program: Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)
Reports To: SSVF Program Manager
FLSA Status / Pay Type: Non-Exempt / Hourly
Caritas of Austin Values
We believe in the inherent dignity of all people, and we celebrate every person’s uniqueness and contributions to our work.
We are committed to fairness and impartiality in the way we provide services and opportunities for service.
We are resolute in our mission to build well being and end homelessness for the people we serve.
We have high standards for every aspect of our work, continuously raising the bar to provide the best experience and outcomes for everyone we serve.
We are leaders in meeting the most pressing needs of the Austin community, continually learning and improving to affect positive change.
A full-time position providing eligibility screening and case management services to very low income veterans/veteran families in the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Program. The Veteran Specialist will identify and engage with current and previously homeless individuals and families to assist them in obtaining and retaining permanent affordable housing. The position is responsible for maintaining timely and accurate financial assistance records, case notes and evaluation and reporting requirements. Position reports to the SSVF Program Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify veterans/veteran families experiencing or at-risk of homelessness.
- Conduct comprehensive SSVF intake to include assessment of strengths and challenges.
- Assist veteran in development of Housing Stabilization Plan focusing on housing, income and self-care goals.
- Ongoing monitoring of the Housing Stabilization Plan as a tool to achieve self-sufficiency.
- Provide comprehensive case management services to veterans/veteran families.
- Conduct home visits.
- Provide appropriate referrals and linkages to community partnerships and resources.
- Screen all SSVF eligible participants to determine if they are currently enrolled for health care and other supportive services provided by the VA.
- Maintain a caseload of 17+ households.
TARGETED COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND ENGAGEMENT
- Assist the SSVF Program Manager with developing and maintaining relationships with groups and organizations which serve veterans.
- A minimum of 10% of the Veteran Specialist’s time will be spent in outreach efforts to the most vulnerable veterans.
- Develop relationships with landlords/property managers.
- Establish a cooperative working relationship with community partners serving veterans.
- Work with the Caritas SSVF Program Manager to identify and document best practice processes and procedures.
- As appropriate, work collaboratively with Caritas Employment Specialists to link clients to employment.
- Develop professional relationships with external job sources / employers to encourage hiring of veterans.
- As appropriate, work collaboratively with Caritas Education Specialists to link clients to Education Programs.
- Attend program collaboration meetings and training sessions as requested by the Program Manager.
CLIENT DATA AND RECORD KEEPING
- Manage case data by entering client data in Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) in a timely manner.
- Regularly prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
ORGANIZATIONAL SUPPORT FUNCTIONS
- Work cooperatively with all components of Caritas services.
- Engage in appropriate teamwork functions in order to provide a professional work environment and effective service delivery.
- Attend Caritas staff meetings, Housing Services Department meetings and other meetings and training sessions as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Social Work (or related field) or comparable veteran specific case management experience required.
- Two years of professional direct social services and case management experience required.
- Experience working with veterans/veteran families or homeless populations preferred.
- Experience working with various software programs: word processing, spreadsheets and databases required.